CTX-3030
XP Deus
E-Trac
F-75 SE
X-Terra 705
Cibola
Ace 250
1700's Metallic Arrowheads

These finds all came from a historically documented site that has produced a variety of recoveries from the 1700's.
Any metallic finds that are pre 1850's in my area are extremely rare and unusual. A friend of mine discovered this spot and we both had an amazing several years hunting there once or twice a year. We shared it with a very few trusted friends, and we agreed to never take anyone to this spot unless both of us felt comfortable about it since it was such a rare and unique location. The propertry owner was kind enough to let us hunt almost anytime we could and we made sure we respected his wishes about not disclosing the location.

These are American Indian metallic arrowheads (or points) made from a variety of metals and fashioned in various ways. Apparently, there were a lot of different styles, since I have found several and two friends have a couple different types. Some of the points are unfinished, but some are really nice pieces.

I consider these to be my "All Time Best (and most unique) American Finds" and it is amazing to me that these artifacts were made with primitive, most likely stone tools, and methods well over 200 years ago. The time and patience it took is something I cannot grasp and the fact that we have equipment that can rediscover old metal artifacts like these is amazing.

Thanks for looking!

100_0771.jpg

100_0791.jpg

100_0789.jpg

100_0785.jpg

100_0777.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 3

Little River Hunter

Jun 25, 2012
I.T.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A lot of the metal projectile points were traded for, or cut up from an item got in trade; brass or sheet iron kettle/cook pot, or even a gun part. I don't know of any real early traders in I.T., other than Chouteau. In the south central part, was an early French fort that was built in 1721. I believe it was the Pawnee who fought against the French in the 1740's, so its a possibility that the tribes traded with the French. You have some really nice finds! There are a few in the Dressler Collection and some are listed in Hothem's book, INDIAN TRADE RELICS.

OP
OP
bigfootokie

bigfootokie

Apr 9, 2010
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030
XP Deus
E-Trac
F-75 SE
X-Terra 705
Cibola
Ace 250
Thanks LRH...good info. Maybe we can get together and make some finds someday since we live relatively close to one another.

El Dorado Seeker

Nov 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting shape. Substantially different from middle ages European arrowheads - which were much narrower, perhaps longer.
It's interesting to note that in the 1700s, they were still using arrows in the "New World"...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread