Washington Inaugural Button

Hunted out

Greenie
Jan 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This button was found about ten years ago, and here is the story. I was invited to hunt an old plantation in the Lowcountry of South Carolina. Most of this plantation had already been developed, but a few acres remained pristine and untouched since colonial times. I had been finding some large cents and old English coppers. I use a DMC2B Nautilus detector, so I do not have the benefits of target ID screening or any of the more advanced technology of recent detectors. I was in what used to be a cow pasture when I got a faint signal that sounded like old copper or brass in the headphones. I dug the plug and rolled it over to find the target resting on the bottom of it. The button was upside down and the shank was broken off, so I thought it was a coin. When I picked it up and turned it over, I rubbed my thumb across the face of it. I saw the G W and the eagle and immediately knew what I had. I went over to my hunting partner and showed him my find. Neither of us could believe it. It was already late in the evening so we packed up soon after and left. I never got invited back, but it was a hunt I'll never forget.

Washington Button.jpg

Upvote 1

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
That is a find of a lifetime! I myself have found two G.W. buttons but not of this much smaller and much rarer variety. Very nice!! Thanks for posting!

VPR

OP
OP
H

Hunted out

Greenie
Jan 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks VPR. Maybe you can help me.When i found this button the only thing i did was soak it in olive oil.Do you think i need to try and clean it? Whats this aluminum jelly i hear everybody talking about?

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hunted out

Greenie
Jan 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I consider myself very blessed to have found this button. Even though I've been hunting about 20 years, I still consider myself a novice. I wish I could get permission to hunt that plantation again but it has since changed hands and I can't hunt it now. I wish everybody could experience finding a button like this. It was priceless!

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Thanks VPR. Maybe you can help me.When i found this button the only thing i did was soak it in olive oil.Do you think i need to try and clean it? Whats this aluminum jelly i hear everybody talking about?

My opinion is to leave the button just the way it is. Do not clean any more. It will never be new again and if you over clean, as I did on my first GW, you may regret it.

VPR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread