Coin Bracelet

majolle

Greenie
Apr 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Several years ago, I lived in Texas panhandle. I went out MD one day along a dry wash next to the Canadian River. Not expecting to find much I was bobbing along the prairie beside the wash when my detector went off, I stopped traced over it a couple of times to locate and decided to dig. The soil is very sandy in that location and so it dug very easy. I didn't go down 8 inches maybe when I dug up and old tin coffee can. It was very rusty and smashed in pretty bad and I was going to just chuck it when I tipped it up and out fell a wad of old cloth tightly rolled up. I inspected that and curiosity got me to unroll it. That's when I found the little bracelet of old coins tied together with a leather throng. Sorry the scan isn't clearer but the coins are from bottom right up and to left are: 1859 Canadian Penny, 1840 half Dime, 1853 Dime, 1841 3 Cent, 1854 Dime, 1836 Dime, 1853 Quarter and 18_7 Penny. This was the most amazing find I have ever had, as I came so close to just tossing it away thinking it was more trash. I wonder how this came to be here and what someone was thinking when they apparently buried it. Amazing Hobby, hope we don't lose it.

Attachments

• coin bracelet.jpg
    coin bracelet.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 305
Upvote 7

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool find! And a cool story to go with it.

Urban Grund

Silver Member
Aug 5, 2007
Southeast Michigan (Roseville)
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter > Sharp Shooter II & Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is such a COOL FIND! Thanks for posting it.

I bet the coins were threaded so they wouldn't be lost from the pocket.

Why in the can? Maybe buried as to not be stolen from the owner at night while sleeping? Then forgot were it was in the morning because being drunk when burying it?

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most likely the person buried the coins as he or she intended to return for them and were never able to do so.
I doubt that some one drunk would carefully wrap the coins in cloth, put them in a coffee can and bury them that deep.

The person(s) were probably camping / squatting nearby and the only container they had was a coffee can, or they knew something about metal detecting and
thought that the iron in the coffee can would mask the coins.

Whatever the reason, the person did not want to have the coins on him/her.

jmb2email

Apr 14, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO 12" coil, DD 10" coil, 5.3 coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very cool story. Imagining what the person was doing or thinking, as well as why they even made the bracelet is half the fun when finding old stuff.

John_Deere

Mar 7, 2013
Fredericksburg
Detector(s) used
Personal: Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Family: White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, great find! Looks like most of those coins are in pretty good shape, besides the holes the got in em. Congrats and HH!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one neat find!

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find,shows us all that the "trash" we pass by on purpose may very well be a great find in disguise! Always Dig-inspect-toss in that order....

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I find a large piece of trash I always break it down and inspect it. I once found a gas cap that had an early merc dime glued inside of it. Very interesting find. I have seen people pull silver dollars out of old tobacco cans too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread