First year metal detecting

bighoss1975

May 19, 2013
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
I bought a Garrett ACE 350 about a year ago and I love relic hunting but love coinshooting old coins even more. I even love researching old homesteads, roads/paths, etc. My 8 year old son and 6 year old daughter have gotten interested in it so I have since gotten my son a Bounty Hunter Quick Silver and my daughter a BH pinpointer (she loves to get down close and make the "reveal"). These are our best finds so far. My kids actually found the Morgan on top of the ground while MD'ng in our yard. An armadillo had apparently unearthed it while hunting for night crawlers. The buttons are 2 WWI era army, a Miss Volunteer Militia Civil War (broken and bent), and a Miss A&M College Cadet button (former name of Miss State). I hope we continue to make more great finds like these in the future. I look forward to seeing more great finds on this site from you all so keep diggin! Lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Garrett ACE 350 about a year ago and I love relic hunting but love coinshooting old coins even more. I even love researching old homesteads, roads/paths, etc. My 8 year old son and 6 year old daughter have gotten interested in it so I have since gotten my son a Bounty Hunter Quick Silver and my daughter a BH pinpointer (she loves to get down close and make the "reveal"). These are our best finds so far. My kids actually found the Morgan on top of the ground while MD'ng in our yard. An armadillo had apparently unearthed it while hunting for night crawlers. The buttons are 2 WWI era army, a Miss Volunteer Militia Civil War (broken and bent), and a Miss A&M College Cadet button (former name of Miss State). I hope we continue to make more great finds like these in the future. I look forward to seeing more great finds on this site from you all so keep diggin! Lol

Nice finds how you liking the ace 350? I have one too and it does a good job I have found lots of clad and relics with it. I'm in a dry spell now but still going out when I can. I might upgrade to the at pro. The ace 350 has been good to me though

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oh I almost forgot my best find so far has been a 1893 o barber dime and a 1898 Indian head penny

OP
OP
bighoss1975

bighoss1975

May 19, 2013
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
I am pretty pleased with the 350 but I really don't have anything to compare to other than my son's BH (no contest on that one, ACE hands down). My son is always wanting to use my ACE! Lol I think for the price it's a great detector. I still have a little trouble at old homesteads due to all the old nails masking but I'm getting to where I can turn disc to all metal and understand when I have multiple targets under coil. I still need a lot of practice though. Depth is great with DD coil. I can hit coins at 6"-8" fairly good. I would like to upgrade someday to AT Pro or E-Trac and maybe give my kids the ACE but will have to save awhile. Overall I'm satisfied with 350, it has found some good finds for me. Did my pics download? I don't see them.

OP
OP
bighoss1975

bighoss1975

May 19, 2013
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Barber coin find is awesome. I think they might be my favorite of all. The just look cool to me.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am pretty pleased with the 350 but I really don't have anything to compare to other than my son's BH (no contest on that one, ACE hands down). My son is always wanting to use my ACE! Lol I think for the price it's a great detector. I still have a little trouble at old homesteads due to all the old nails masking but I'm getting to where I can turn disc to all metal and understand when I have multiple targets under coil. I still need a lot of practice though. Depth is great with DD coil. I can hit coins at 6"-8" fairly good. I would like to upgrade someday to AT Pro or E-Trac and maybe give my kids the ACE but will have to save awhile. Overall I'm satisfied with 350, it has found some good finds for me. Did my pics download? I don't see them.

No pics I think treasurenet is having issues with pics right now. I got hooked on detecting after finding the barber dime it's a semi key date and mint mark I had it looked at and was told it was worth between 100 and 150 due to its condition that pays for half my detector if I ever decide to sell it.

OP
OP
bighoss1975

bighoss1975

May 19, 2013
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
I don't what I'd do if I found a valuable coin(or relic for that matter), it would be hard to let it go. I LOVE the historical value but I guess if it was a gold double eagle or something like that I might would be on my way to the bank....maybe. Lol

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_searching.gif
Nice finds (can't wait to see the pictures) bighoss1975!

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't what I'd do if I found a valuable coin(or relic for that matter), it would be hard to let it go. I LOVE the historical value but I guess if it was a gold double eagle or something like that I might would be on my way to the bank....maybe. Lol

Yea it would be hard to sell I also love the history of the stuff I find

OP
OP
bighoss1975

bighoss1975

May 19, 2013
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Try pics again

Attachments

• image-2245507852.jpg
    image-2245507852.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 118
  • image-1322936762.jpg
    image-1322936762.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 111
  • image-3629189714.jpg
    image-3629189714.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 111

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread