1879 Morgan Silver Dollar

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; White's Classic 1 SL with Blue Max 8000 disc, Garrett Pro-pointer; White's Bulls eye II pin pointer;
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I posted this in my newbie intro but thought I'd share it here too.

I was landscaping some spots on my 2.8 acre property that I've only lived on for 3 years now. The area near the house itself was cleared out before I bought it and in my teaching sweeps for my gf we found rebar and a car tire rim. We couldn't get it out, because as we dug, the hole kept filling with water and we didn't want to mess up an area so close to the house.

The rest of the property is overgrown with palmetto palms, Virginia creeper, green briar and other weeds. I've recently got my other big "honey-do" tasks under control so I can get to some very badly needed landscaping and clearing of the overgrowth.

I had been clearing places in order to plant some flowering bushes and vines, until the heat and Florida rains came in. A few weeks ago we had 4 days of rain (raining buckets each day after I got off from work, keeping me from getting much outside done).

On a quick walk through my yard I stumbled on what I initially thought was trash, a pull top from a soup can or something, where had been tilling to put in some bushes a week prior, turned out to be a 1879 Morgan Silver Dollar.

It is my new lucky charm and I hope to see if she's got any sisters out there.

Prior to this, I found two old bullets at the Sherman, WY ghost town near the old railroad bed and water tower foundation. Around the old home site foundations I found a few old nails and a bucket handle.

So this coin just sitting there waiting for me to look down has been quite inspiring. Time to dust off my White's Classic 1 SL and beat the bushes today!

Upvote 1

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Big Silver eyeball find, Salura! :thumbsup: I'm still looking for my first Morgan Dollar. They are so big that they rarely went unnoticed after being dropped. I guess that's why so few are ever found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread