Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My dad and I loved to hike in the woods every weekend....sometimes stumbling upon an old cellarhole. I was always fascinated with the cellarholes we would find, always trying to visualize what it would be like to live there and amazed that somebody lived so far into the woods so long ago. I didn't know back then to look for other signs of their life...like to look for the barn foundation, an old well, old ground cover or daffodils, or the always-present apple orchard. I always dreamed of owning a metal detector and detecting these forgotten places.

One of the places we would hike to was an old house foundation about 1 1/2 miles from our house. It was always hard for me to find because there were no roads leading to it...and to me it seemed like it was in the middle of nowhere. The foundation was on my 1878 map of my county...but not on the 1909 US Geological survey map....so I knew it would be a good one to hunt. Sites like this are great because almost EVERYTHING you dig is old...and there's hardly any junk to be found...just great old relics...and clues to how people lived over 100 years ago.

WeilerFoundation copy.jpg

My chance to hunt these cellarholes finally came when my husband surprised me with a Whites Prizm IV on the Christmas of 2004. :o :o It was something I had always wanted but I could never justify the purchase of. I spent a lot of time after Christmas practicing in my yard, at parks, and at schools, learning all the signals that my detector was telling me...digging plenty of clad and junk along the way.

Well, finally I had a free Saturday to detect. The weather was beautiful in NW PA. I decided to detect this old foundation. Because of the distance, I asked my husband, Don, to take me on the four wheeler. Being the geniuses that we are, we put my detector across the back of the four wheeler without shortening the shaft so it stuck out a little on both sides. The trail is wide almost the whole way to the foundation so it shouldn't be a problem, right?? :-\

Well...you can guess what happened. My husband decided to drive right up to the site where the trees are closer together. As I'm yelling at him to stop, he tried to squeeze between two trees...and snapped the shaft on my detector. I was so upset. I've been dreaming about detecting this foundation since my hikes with my dad, 30 years earlier. :'(

I asked him to go fix it (OK....really I told him to go fix it) while I waited for him. In the meantime, I spent my time looking over the area. In addition to the house foundation, I found a huge foundation where the barn sat. I also found rock piles all over the area where they piled the rocks they removed from their planted fields.

WeilerHouse.JPG

WeilerBarnFoundation.JPG

After about an hour, my husband returned and, he had fixed my detector as good as new. I finally started hunting around the house area. Don apparently thought I wouldn't find anything so he started planting a few coins around the house when I wasn't looking. I told him to stop it..(OK...really my exact words were "Knock it off!".)...that I would find my own coins....and just as I said that....I got a great signal on my detector. It read in the quarter range. I dug a few inches down and picked up a coin that I had never seen before. I just handed it to my husband and did the screamingest happy dance that you had ever seen. Really, you had never seen or done a crazier happy dance than the one I did. ;D ;D ;D

I love this hobby. :)

Attachments

• 1847lgcentapr8,2005.jpg
    1847lgcentapr8,2005.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 5,019
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mona Lisa

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Bad luck...great luck

Thanks for all the great replies. My metal detector would be in the closet by now if it wasn't for this forum and all the great input from all you friendly folks!

rvbvetter: I thought that piece was from a flintlock, too. I'm thinking maybe from a lock or something. I found it near the round object which has a moving part on it. Heck, I don't know!!

Vicki & Oddfello: Yeah, Lady is a nice dog. Some dog trainer gave her to us. They kept her in a kennel for 1 1/2 years. We were going to train her for search and rescue but couldn't seem to find the time. She herds our other dog all the time. Xena, our other dog, makes a nice sheep for her.

R

rvbvetter

Re: Bad luck...great luck New Pictures Added. (See later post.)

Oouuuch!! I hope the mystery item is not what i'm thinking it might be. Does it look like teeth imprints? Looks like something you would bite down on for amputation, in the old days. Much like they did with musket balls. Theres people here that no more about this than me. Maybe they'll know. HH

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia

That "round thing with a moving part" is the dispensing end of a powder flask. Look up powder flask on a search engine or on ebay and you'll see what I mean. Nice finds.

D

Darod

Yep,
Cheese your exactly right on that one. I'm no expert but I do shoot blackpowder in the falls. I own 2 blackpowder rifles in 45 and 50 cal. Truely some fun stuff! Anyhow, back to the point. The round item is definately the top of the powder flask as I see it. That looks like a flintlock arm to me! Like a said, I'm no expert, just an enthusiast.

Now, about that large cent,......WOW! That's what I'm talkin' about!!!!!!!! Just think of the history that coin to tell if it could speak! It get's me everytime when you start to think about what a coin has seen in it's time. You've found a real piece of history there girl! I envy you on this one for sure!

Treasure that coin. Actually, I'd read up on how to clean it correctly and how to condition it to preserve it. I'll send you and email address of a guy I know that is pretty much an expert on coin preservation. His name on the forum was "copper" . I'll PM you with his email address.

Great finds! Keep us posted on your future trips and finds.

Thanks for sharing!

Rod

D

Darod

Hey,

2 more things I forget to say.

(1) I used to have a border collie named "lady" too. I miss her,...died about 15 years ago. She was abused by her first owners and left outside in Florida for her first 1 or so. They didn't take care of her so when I got her she was very scared and timmid. She was also just ate up with heart worms. Sad,..I do miss her.

(2) Ok, some have commented on seeing a face in the foundation picture,.....I don't see it at all :-\ BUT, I do see a face in your last 2 "finds" pictures! ;D :D It's a smiley face too! :D

Rod

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004

Grat,s Haupin,That is one nice find glad your MD was able to be repaired and make for a good outing.HH

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rod said:
That looks like a flintlock arm to me
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,77946.0.html

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Blast From The Past and still one of my favorites! :) :-* :-* :-*

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's

It's good that you could fix the detector, that place looks to have great possibilities. Congrats on the large cent, I'll bet you're still smiling!

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Piggman, thanks for bringing back this post. Good job, Mona!

ravenguide

Jul 29, 2007
upstate,NY
Detector(s) used
whites xlt

The large cent is great! love those big coppers

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250

Congrats on the Big Penny!

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome, Lisa. I remember my first. I had a smile a mile wide. Found two this year so far.

panzermeyer

Jul 27, 2004
The Great White North
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum Tesoro Tiger Shark

Great find ! Keep it comin' ...God Bless and HH..Panz

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts

is this new !! is she back ?????????? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
great find lisa !! ya always wanted one..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread