243 coins/10 gold! --nick1878 more info...

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Nick1878--you can't just drop a post like this on us without giving all the details. Please let us know everything you can and what some of the best coins were, where found, how, blah, blah, etc. Thanks. This is the dream find of a lifetime.

Great find, Several years ago I dug up a cache of 243 coins 10 were gold from every mint except D. Even had some from the elusive Carson City mint. Wow what a day.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no Idea Why You posted this :D

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
He put this at the end of another post by someone who had found a gold coin, but nothing further....

Great find, Several years ago I dug up a cache of 243 coins 10 were gold from every mint except D. Even had some from the elusive Carson City mint. Wow what a day.

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
Sorry guys I was away. I posted the story in Cache Hunting. To recap. My family moved to a house when I was 5 lived tere 27 years.
It is an 1853 farm hose done a ton of research. The family was very promient at the time had 600 acres of maple groves. On of the biggest maple syrup manufacturers. Had patents on the jarring and shipping crates. They grew apples, berries, peaches etc. I have visited there graves in a forgotten pioneer cemetery, and the church they used t belong to I got my detector in 97 and started practicing at home before I toreup anyone elses land. Well this site has been hunted regularly by me eversince then and I am still amazed at the finds.

Bullets, bttons, buckles, toys, knives, relics of all sorts, rings, ancient jewelry, farm equipment. Oneof every type of us coin (penny, nckle dime and quarter ) some halves.

Then one day after reading out detecting crawl spaces in lost treasure magazine, I decided to give it a try and Found one indian cent and nothing else. Before I left the cellar there was one corner where they used to store coal, that had not been covered wit concrete o I thought what the heck its rainingoutsd so better than nothing. It ws a 7x7'area and it took me several hours to digall the coins out of the ground. I got a ton of signals in this area. Dug down about 6 inches and hit glass It was a green mason jar and I couldsee morgan silvr dollars in the jar. I was shaking so hard trying to dig this jar ot of the tough clay earth That jr was so heavy. My friend and I sat there and stare at it for about ten minutes. Not wanting to take out any coins till later to carefully do it as to not damage any.
Then before filling the hole decded to check it again and a strong signal, the coin just kept coming aout by the handfuls, some as deep as nearly a foot in the cay.
In ttal I dug down about 2 feet and widened the hole about 2 feet across. I still get signals from the area bt havent ound anything else.

The ironic part is we use to come down hear during tornados and storms that was the only time, cause it is dark damp and full of snakes. Weued to sit on the huge rock that covered thiscache al those years not knowing what ly just beneath us.

I ot home and filled the sink with arm soap water and suberged the jar and coins. I pulled them out 1 by 1 looking t them documenting the date condition mint marks etc. 160 mrgan silver dollars, 34 barber silver halves, 43 barber silver quarters, an 6 seated liberty halves

WhenI got to the jar I slowly started pulling the coins out and rinsing 1 by1 in the center f the jar wrapped in newspaper were 3 $10 gold eagles and 7 $5 gold hlf eagles.

Al the coins were xxf - Un condition and alot of cc mint marks 1 of every date and nearly every mint morgan silver dollar. Pt together almost a complete collectin from them. The newest date on any coin was 1902 and the oldest was 1853 th same year the house was built. Estimated value of ths collection is around $20,000 at retail prices

Everyone tells me this is a once in a lifetime find which means I might as well stop hunting, no thanks I will find another.

I wll post pics when I get a chance guys.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Yep, a story worth waiting for indeed. Thanks and great find!

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
WOW!
What a day!!! Good luck in topping that one...
I've been thinking about hitting the crawl space in this old house, built in 1912, but have't got to it yet...
After reading this post,,,, looks like today might just be the day... ;D

S

SASQUASH

O that is cool I em just hoping to pay for my M.D. sum day. Cant wait to see pic's. Just think you you could get a $20.000 M.D. HA,HA,

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Show me the money!!!! Can't wait to see all the loot!! Great stuff.

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
Posted this elsewhere but wanted everyone to hear it.

Ok guys this is going to knock your socks off. I did a ton of research and found a site from the landowners brother one mile from where I found my cache. I asked the current owners if I could metal detect. The wife said sure she finds big pennys in the garden all the time ( drool, wipe chin ). But had to wait and ask husband. Come to find out husband came home heard about me and liked the idea. He went out borrowed a detector and found 15 gold coins scattered in his field about ten foot area.

And another, I was hot on the trail of something great. Get to the location and find a big pit with broken shards where my treasure should be. Swear these are true.

Everyone, keep looking, this stuff is out there!!!

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Yes we all know that these finds like this are out there. Finding a cache is the most likely way to find a gold coin & I am just waiting for MY TURN. Maybe tomorrow. You never know. Spotz

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
I am lucky to have found it for several reasons. 1st it was an iffy signal. If it would have been all gold coins, I dont think I would have dug it except it was such a small area I was digging everything. The reason it was iffy, was due to whatever metal 'box' they had some of the coins in, had completely rusted away leaving false signals. The only thing the shined through was all the big silver. The majority was found at about 6" some however were found about 12". There are alot of broken signals in that area I have tried digging some and found nothing. I am tempted to use a PI machine and clear it out. The ground there is very tough to dig in too. It may still contain a treasure or two.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions