Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there,
This is not my BEST gun find but certain factors make this a tough one to beat!
It was unearthed in a remote forest against a tree and the gun flint was held in the hammer from soil and roots but came out from cleaning it.
After digging it up, I retried the hole and found the two loose parts. The broken main spring fits on the back perfectly. (See picture #3)
The factors that rank this as a great find (to me) are the soil conditions that left very little corrosion and the completeness of the lock plate.
I'm used to just finding single gun parts..... not all together like this.
Here she be......

P1120001 (640x445).jpg

P1120007 (640x596).jpg

The reverse......

P1120006 (640x504).jpg

P1120015 (640x496).jpg

If had to complain about something it would be that it's not as old as I would like it to be but that's why it's not my best gun find. Close!

P1120012 (632x640).jpg

Finally, here's the famous fox touch mark that attributes it to the Hudson's Bay Company.....

P1120010 (640x480).jpg

Just wanted to give some limelight to this gun as she's sat all alone in a box for a few years and I promised I'd give her some attention. ;D
Cheers,
Dave.

Upvote 5
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
When I first looked at it Muddy I thought the date read 1670 lol,I was like holy sh_ _. But then it would most likely of been a snaphaunce or English lock.Very nice shape though.I'd be thinking of building a muzzle loader around it.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Outrageous find! Outstanding condition. Have seen tombstone fox,seated fox,pics. Repro,s with a fox,like northstar west with fox suggesting to natives a London connection. No need for them to see a broad arrow indicating Tower.Congrats on the lock. Its a super find. An original would make a detecting high water mark for sure, age be danged.My repro trade gun might show more wear on its lock than you find.Black could be English flint,most around here is grey.Your flint no surprise does not appear to be french amber,( a la mauvaise, that would be ironic) ,its falling out suggests it was leather wrapped to secure in jaws. Lead could also have be used,it being less likely to hold a spark/glowing smolder,but leather much more convenient.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread