Chimacum87

May 27, 2012
From WA now missing Scotland
Detector(s) used
Deus lite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all

I am an American student living in the Uk. Found my first hammered coin in my back yard a short while back. This is the stuff most American detectorists dream of :laughing7:

James V silver Groat Edinburgh mint. Bust.jpg Reverse.jpg

Just wanted to share with you all. Have not been on here in a long time but will start posting and commenting again. Thanks!

Upvote 7

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I wish I had dirt like that in my backyard!! SUPER find mate!!

How do you like that M-6?

GOD Bless

Chris

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you explain this in your backyard when most has feet of fresh soil on it? I would like to understand how this occurred, thanks?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice.

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you explain this in your backyard when most has feet of fresh soil on it? I would like to understand how this occurred, thanks?

PS. I know this sounds a bit pointy, not meant that way, only I would guess you going to say you yard was once ploughed??

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That is an awesome coin. We don't dig very many of those in North Carolina.... GL&HH!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all the debate in my head about how it turned up in a yard I forgot to congratulate you on a near perfect example. It books in 2003 at £425 in VF, I think you could easily achieve close to double that for this specium!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Chimacum87

Chimacum87

May 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Deus lite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all the debate in my head about how it turned up in a yard I forgot to congratulate you on a near perfect example. It books in 2003 at £425 in VF, I think you could easily achieve close to double that for this specium!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone! I am loving the M6 really a great machine I was using a ace250 with the euroace coil on it and it was good but it was time to upgrade. As for the ground Crusader the land is not been plowed in god knows how long its just sheep pasture and real rocky under the surface so not many of the coins and such get to deep at all. It was only about 3in in the ground tops. I was screaming at my mate when I got it and he couldn't believe his eyes. So far the only hammy though off that one field although I did get three other silvers the oldest besides the hammy a Queen Anne six pence.

OP
OP
Chimacum87

Chimacum87

May 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Deus lite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose I should have reworded my back yard better but essentially my back yard is animal grazing land that I can hunt to my hearts content :)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thought you had a very strange backyard:laughing7:, it will have been ploughed at some point, to redrill fresh grass for grazing. (could even be 100 years ago)

At only 3 inches I'm 99% sure its not where it was dropped. Good news is there wasn't too much ploughing otherwise it was likely to get hit. Next time your there pay attention to what age stuff comes at what depth. I bet the sixpence was about the same depth?

OP
OP
Chimacum87

Chimacum87

May 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Deus lite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thought you had a very strange backyard:laughing7:, it will have been ploughed at some point, to redrill fresh grass for grazing. (could even be 100 years ago)

At only 3 inches I'm 99% sure its not where it was dropped. Good news is there wasn't too much ploughing otherwise it was likely to get hit. Next time your there pay attention to what age stuff comes at what depth. I bet the sixpence was about the same depth?

Yea everything I have found has been no more then 3in. Lots of buttons as well but what makes me think it was dropped there or near to the spot is the amount of turner coins I have found. Usually for some reason whenever you start finding turners there are hammys in the vicinity. It probably was plowed a long time ago but I know its allowed to just grow and is never reseeded as the animals are rotated to other fields. Will need to keep hunting though as I think theres more hammys around just can't seem to find them!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea everything I have found has been no more then 3in. Lots of buttons as well but what makes me think it was dropped there or near to the spot is the amount of turner coins I have found. Usually for some reason whenever you start finding turners there are hammys in the vicinity. It probably was plowed a long time ago but I know its allowed to just grow and is never reseeded as the animals are rotated to other fields. Will need to keep hunting though as I think theres more hammys around just can't seem to find them!

Hammered are hard at the best of times, but in years to come you will realise the one you started with is not only very rare to find but its a scarce coin in very rare condition. If your going to get one, I would love that one in the colllection, it would fill a hole in my 20+ years detecting. (hundreds of hammered)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions