Confirmed Identity (Thanks to Tnet) 1755 British 53rd Foot Regiment buckle

Squatty

Aug 26, 2013
Gilmanton NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me and my treasure Buddy Dave have been scouring for treasure since the spring thaw. Dave got his first machine, an Ace350 and has been doing just fine. We did up an old cellar hole in Chichester, NH, and found this buckle. Although neither of us thought it was old and rare as it is. So feast your eyes on this waist belt plate from a soldier in the 53rd Regiment of Foot, mustered in 1755. We have a had few serious offers from collectors on this... just waiting for Obama to call next. Make some votes... sure would love to see this get on the banner.

Upvote 5

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the other thread you said, "Definitely need help identifying this one. My buddy found this near a cellar hole, and we are thinking it is Revolutionary War. There was a NH military unit called Berry's Company in 1775, associated with the 53 - but I haven't found anything yet. Maybe it's Civil War? Anyone have any ideas?" since your buddy found it he would need to post it.

Also the moderators frown on self promotion and petitioning for the banner. I'm not exactly sure why but I know I've read it in a couple of other threads.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Squatty

Squatty

Aug 26, 2013
Gilmanton NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't matter, really. Just showing off a great, inspirational find. Dave is an old-school retired auto mechanic. He views the internet as one of those new contraptions that kids use. Doesn't even have an email that I know of.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It doesn't matter, really. Just showing off a great, inspirational find. Dave is an old-school retired auto mechanic. He views the internet as one of those new contraptions that kids use. Doesn't even have an email that I know of.
Then you picked the right forum for it. It should see more traffic here than in the "What is it?" forum. Oh and that is a beautiful buckle.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a fantastic buckle. Tell your buddy he did good!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You should get Dave to give the internet and metal detecting forums a try... it adds so much to the hobby. Both the internet and detecting started for me only a couple months apart, and had I not gotten online I would not be here typing this message, because the websites brought back the crazy idea I had as a kid wanting a detector. That plate is a heck of a find, and quite a way to break into the hobby. It will certainly take care of his detecting needs/wants if sold.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I actually did vote for banner when you posted in the "What is it?" forum. Then I re-read your post and realized it wasn't eligible. I don't necessarily agree with the rules but i know they stick to them which makes sense. No exceptions no problems.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 53rd foot regiment belt buckle is a very spectacular find. We appreciate you sharing it and it has and will get a lot of exposure and attention. World wide.Tell your friend who found it congratulations.If he can master a metal detector a computer will be easy :thumbsup:. I have friends who hunt but like your friend are not interested in posting. I think they miss out on the excitement and the chance to share some really neat finds. At least you took the time to join and share.
Thanks!
HH
TnMtns

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Way to go Dave,awesome find! Squatty happy hunting. You two are doing great.

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any association with Fort Ticonderoga? It's only about 100+ miles away as the crow flies...? Maybe a land bounty in New Hampshire...? The possibilities are numerous! Do some research and give us some background and a possible theory. That is most definitely a banner find in my opinion!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread