Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You won't believe it, and the mods won't think of it as a best find maybe, I don't care. I'm willing to bet some of you will agree is my best find EVER !

I got this little guy in 2006, in NFLD, I didn't take this picture but you can sure see how sweet he is

bruce-11 [].jpg

Can you believe someone just gave him up ?

My best fiend ever and companion, Bruce, as I named him has been helpfull on a couple of hunts, and has even found his own coin, A iron core dime has been stuck to his backpack. (with a magnet inside) albeit with a bad hair day

IMG_1317.JPG

I still have the iron core dime he collected that day.

Another bad hair day while trout fishing, I asure you he doesn't care about his hair. He was waiting for a lady friend on shore.
bad_hair_day.jpg

He's been imprisioned, for no fault of his own, those ferry officials have no sense of hunor..only strict rules.
the_brig1.JPG

He has helped me with the wood...even though he wasn't a lot of help.

IMG_1020.JPG

Sometimes he'd watch me dig a hole without too much interest.

IMG_2531.JPG

And sometimes he'd just sleep.

IMG_3358.JPG

And after only 8 very short years, he has refused to eat for the past week, and has been going down hill fast.
Having to say good-by to my best friend with such a very short life is hard to say the least.

I think it fair to say there is no human I will miss more.
I'm gonna miss you when your gone. Bruce

Last edited:
Upvote 21

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn, I did not expect that sad ending.

Our dog I'm pretty sure is on his last legs. Will be very strange with him not around, but you just have to think of the good years you gave him.... and he gave you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn, I did not expect that sad ending.

Our dog I'm pretty sure is on his last legs. Will be very strange with him not around, but you just have to think of the good years you gave him.... and he gave you.

You're right IP as you most often are, I do have to think of the good times we gave each other, but right now it is very hard watching him waste away, today he did eat nearly a whole burger, maybe the "calm before the storm" Poor little bugger

Thanks, as I said means more to me than most humans.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right IP as you most often are, I do have to think of the good times we gave each other, but right now it is very hard watching him waste away, today he did eat nearly a whole burger, maybe the "calm before the storm" Poor little bugger

Thanks, as I said means more to me than most humans.

Do you know what exactly is wrong?

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know what exactly is wrong?

Doc. figures after more than one visit, and a white blood cell count 4 times normal there is a "mass" somewhere in his G.I. tract. I offered to do X-ray, exploratory surgery, he was honest, and said might as well just pray.

A sad ending for sure.

Thanks,
Rick

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is a tough thing to go through....sorry for your difficult time w/ your dog friend.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, it's going to be a sad day Rick. I know you really cared for the little guy and he really cared for you. I could see it everytime I would drop you off he came running up to see you, tail wagging and curious to see what you found.
All I can say is lets hope that he can pull through this.
Dave,

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a tough thing to deal with Rick. I had two dogs go on me a few years back and it was a heart breaker. I feel for you buddy. I said I wouldn't get anymore because it was too hard to lose them but here I am with two more and the love they show really helps.

image-3882890650.jpg

image-1774394648.jpg

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a tough thing to deal with Rick. I had two dogs go on me a few years back and it was a heart breaker. I feel for you buddy. I said I wouldn't get anymore because it was too hard to lose them but here I am with two more and the love they show really helps.

]

Thanks Greylock, looks like your two new pals also enjoy each other.
Me being 51 Bruce was really my first, was given to me by a Newfie on a trip over there. He is also my last dog. If I ever get another fur or feathered friend, it will be a parrott, or an elephant, something that has a bit better life span. I don't deal with this ShiiiT well.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Greylock, looks like your two new pals also enjoy each other.
Me being 51 Bruce was really my first, was given to me by a Newfie on a trip over there. He is also my last dog. If I ever get another fur or feathered friend, it will be a parrott, or an elephant, something that has a bit better life span. I don't deal with this ShiiiT well.

I think everyone likely feels that way at the time because no other dog can replace him, but as time goes by you realize that's not what it's about.... it's continuing good times with another pal.

Although an elephant would sure beat down the long grass well. :)

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think everyone likely feels that way at the time because no other dog can replace him, but as time goes by you realize that's not what it's about.... it's continuing good times with another pal.

Although an elephant would sure beat down the long grass well. :)

Laugh out loud...I did.
I have enough land to feed an elephant, but I guess elephants are a bit hard to come by around here. I guess I could go turtle, but like snakes, I don't consider reptiles as pets...fur, or maybe feathers...that's it...no damn scales.

THANKS, a laugh always helps.

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to hear. Do the world a favor and give another dog the same wonderful life when your pal passes. Several have broken my heart too but I keep getting another one.

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear. Do the world a favor and give another dog the same wonderful life when your pal passes. Several have broken my heart too but I keep getting another one.

Thanks very much Redcobra, good advice for sure.

I wanted to add that this guy was so gentle, wouldn't even bite a mouse, had one in his mouth 20 times, and it eventually got away. The ONLY person he ever bit was ME ! , and that was only because he didn't like to be left behind when I went MDing.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Hey Rick,

I'm so sorry to hear that your best friend isn't feeling well. I definitely felt like I was going to cry when I got down to the end of reading your post. :sad7:
I think the thing to remember is that you and Bruce have had almost 8 good years together, he's had a great life and was lucky to find you!

Just had to go a take a pic of our dog Lilly, she's currently sitting on the footrest of our Lazyboy keeping my wife's feet warm on this cool rainy day. :thumbsup:

Take care bud,
Dave

Attachments

• SDC19182.JPG
    SDC19182.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 190
OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Dave.

Last edited:

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they do grow on ya,been thinking the same about oden,bought him for my son probably 10 years ago.was out sitting with him and thinking how smart he is and how much slower he is moving just the other day.knowing yours will be missed as much as him is hitting close to home.i guess i will always thank him for the days he really shined and filed my heart with amazement.

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they do grow on ya,been thinking the same about oden,bought him for my son probably 10 years ago.was out sitting with him and thinking how smart he is and how much slower he is moving just the other day.knowing yours will be missed as much as him is hitting close to home.i guess i will always thank him for the days he really shined and filed my heart with amazement.

Thanks Jamie...I can hear you on the "slow down"
Bruce has beeen developing arthritus (sp) as with his slowing stair climbing.

I super appreciate your reply.

It's not always about the finds...EH
Rick

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Wanaby, and others I will thank you each of you ..........right now I have only enough time for Bruce ...Which he didd,'t want to do a photo shoot for.

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its not always about the finds is so true.its being thankful for the ones we already have that makes a difference.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread