My favorite Treasure

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Since I've posted about it today, I figured I'd post the second greatest treasure I've ever found!
Long ago on a trip to Alabama during easter for a homecoming I overheard my pops and a few of his brothers talking about old times and how they all laughed when my pops lost his pops favorite copper hammer and how he got whipped for awhile for losing it, back in them days replacing a hammer was a big deal for dirt poor cotton farmers.
A few days later in visiting *the old place* where pops was born and raised I wanted to detect around there while dad and the others downed their Pabst blue ribbons..bleh..well several minutes later by a old tree I got a big signal and proceeded to retrieve the target, imagine my surprise when I seen a large copper hammer head!
By then it hit me what I had found and ran back to the house, jumped on the porch and said dad look what I found, his oldest brother immediately turned pale like he had seen a ghost. it took all of 30 seconds through beer haze for my pops to realize what I was holding..He said THE HAMMER! right about then uncle O'Neal started off the porch and started pacing the yard like a tortured soul.
Pops said what ? where did you find it ? I said by a huge old tree,..at that moment dad said he never had it by the tree, and stopped mid sentence and shot a look at uncle O'Neal who had now stopped pacing and was even more pale if it was possible.
what happened next was..well how to describe it, my pops instantly shot up like a copperhead and pounced on its prey..uncle O'Neal and the worst fight I'd even seen ensued...turns out O'Neal wanted to get my pops in trouble for some thing my pops did to him back in the late 30's..never did learn what my dad did to his brother to make him hide the hammer and blame pops.

Either way that was the second greatest treasure I had ever found.
The hammer
View attachment 1047344

Mike

Upvote 11

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Sweet find. When i was 4 my brother put me on the hood of the family car & gave me a ball peen hammer. Told me to hit the windshield and I did. I got one whoopin, he got two. Can't imagine what Pop's got.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story there ! Congrats on the find =)

Eddie Current

May 17, 2011
Flooorida
Detector(s) used
CTX /AT Pro / Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I liked the ending of the story... sounds like Dad, after downloading beer, found the real answer and got even for a 40+ year old wrong. I can see the smile on your face.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Great job amigo, great job. Indeed, a wonderful treasure and an even better memory...

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really funny story, after all those years the truth comes out!

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Well last 2 days really has been a roller coaster of emotions for myself, as I learned things about my father that I never knew. in contacting my fathers last remaining sister whose memory is questionable what my father did to his brother O'Neal actually happened in 1947!! my pops was 11 then and O'Neal had to have been in his late teens, as I'm told O'Neal was seeing this girl whom her father had somehow really wronged my grandpa, and O'Neal was forbidden from seeing her or anything. well my pops spilled the beans on O'Neal for reasons unknown, aside from O'Neal once on purpose stepped on my fathers hand on purpose while they were climbing a tree and my pops took a bad fall..so maybe that's why he ratted out his brother whom as I'm told was basically banished from the farm.

Mike

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I,d better post before I get sidetracked on the "Morale " post.

Great Story

Sounds like you and your "Pop's" Had a great Relationship .
I never knew my real dad , he went to Vietnam when I was 1 & Divorced My mom soon after he came back, met him once when I was 21 , He had the chance but for some reason he never Stayed in Touch , 'Guess he was not Man enough , STILL after 21 years, Oh Well.

Mama Was the Greatest , even with her Flaws; She passed on in 2001 @ only 50 ,too good for this Earth IMO.

Sorry not trying to sidetrack Your post , Just wanna let you Know I can relate how you feel , but in a diff, way.

Hope you can get that 1265X in "Solid" working order in his Memory & For You.

Best Wishes

Davers

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Davers . sorry for the loss of your mother. Not sure what to say about your pops.
still
trying to find another 1265 to fix mine, but in the meantime picking up a CZ3D that's pretty dang good, supposed to get 11.8 inches on a clad dime..old coin killer.

Mike

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About my Dad Forget Him , He Never Existed ; one less Close Loved one to have to Loose . ' Sounds Harsh' Oh Well

Hope that New Machine Works well for you, sounds like a good one.

I could use a new machine with a VDI ' For those trashy sites , also for 'scouting ' new areas, as my XLT is held together by Duck Tape, ' the loop / rod attachment' Also had to spray bed liner on the bottom of the loop last year as the inside of it was starting to show, but the battery Compartment Closes Well, lol.

My pin-pointer Finally Crapped out as well, it's tip was worn through to the wiring as well. Bullseye2 Not bad for 15 bucks.
Well I now have 100 paid down on a new one was gonna get a pro-pointer but now after reading many Reviews I think Ill go with the TRX.

Like you Stated in your Great Story last year, I'm like you were ' I type real Slow' & I seem to get Sidetracked REAL easy,
heck one other Site that I "Peck" on will log me out before I can post what I am Typing . The Wife Texts Faster With one Hand..LOL

Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions