My best resale shop find...3.3 pounds sterling!

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
This find happened last august, but I never thought to post it since it was right before I joined TNet.
So one day while out hitting the local thrift stores with me wifey, I always first check what they have in their display cases or behind the collectable counter.
This day I spied a set of antique flatware, and in knowing silver by its look/feel/sound I immediately inquired about the price as there were 49 pieces total, spoons, both table and tea, forks dinner and salad, small butter knives and some assorted pieces, the big butter knives the blades were clearly stainless, but the handles were sterling. which I bought 5 minutes after the first 39 pieces since I didn't know much about flatware at that time as to why the blades were steel versus silver, and I asked them to hold them while I went to the bank, which meant I had to google the knives.
I asked the manager to lower the price, due to the fact the pieces were so beat up, they were asking 2 dollars a piece, but he lowered it to 1 dollar each because of the damage, and since they get their stuff free everybody was happy..me more so.

At that time I never thought to take a pic of the silver, and honestly wished I had just melted it down and kept it for later days when greenbacks might lose their value, but I sold it to a refinery local to me 2 days later.
I paid 41.34$ then sold it for 926.79$
there was 1519 grams or 3.34 pounds of sterling silver, all I have is the receipt left. but it paid for my minelab and a week later my wife's best ever estate sale find, which I'll post about later.
here is the receipt.
View attachment 1047512

Guess that's called being in the right place at the right time, for not a minute after I started looking at the flatware I noticed another guy behind me staring with a gleam in his eye, who told me nice score right afterwards. while doing this in the corner I bet. :BangHead:

Mike

Upvote 7

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man Did You Get A Good deal.

p.s. I need to find my local Refinery ..

Davers

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Equinox 600, GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the great find! So you haggled a charity down by 50% so you could make 2200% profit? Perhaps its just me but paying their asking price would have been fair.

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
yeah that would have been fair, but I didn't have that much money at the time, besides they ain't hurting, take a peek at the knick knack aisle there, items with a dollar general tag for 5 bucks. it used to be a place where folks that couldn't afford to pay retail shopped, now it is a place that sells 4 dollar Walmart jeans for 10 bucks.

Mike

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congrats on the great find! So you haggled a charity down by 50% so you could make 2200% profit? Perhaps its just me but paying their asking price would have been fair.
Hey, business is business. I work the price no matter what if I can. Besides I donate quite a lot to Goodwill...
Wish I could have gotten that deal!

Sand-duner

Nov 24, 2009
Sequim, WA
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Thrift" stores used to be a great place to find good used stuff at rock bottom prices. Now, their basically asking full retail price for junk people would otherwise throw away. It's the whole "shabby-chic" trend going on now.

Went to a so-called thrift store couple weeks ago. They wanted 75$ for a junk bicycle with rusted out hubs, 1 pedal missing and no brakes. Same bike at Wally World brand new... 100$. Never be ashamed of haggling down a price.

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find BC. You are about 2 hours east of me. I'm in Kalamazoo.

joncooper1986

Jul 31, 2014
Westhampton, MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 4.0 9" coil, 11" coil, WS4 w/ Detecting Doodads headphones, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe, but it's fun to see if you can make a good deal great. Besides, you can always donate the $20 you saved to a charity of your choice that doesn't treat it's workers like crap and pay disabled people $1.41 an hour i.e. Goodwill Stores

I suggest donating to "Metal Detectors for Orphans"

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Public lands for the people is a charity in need BIG time. I encourage all to donate to them. They are ACTUALLY helping us keep our freedoms...

sent from a potato...

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Public Lands for the People, Inc.

make sure you put the one in the address or you will end up at a communist website...
Please feel free to donate. They are fighting a huge expensive legal battle for our rights...

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yes!! PLP is fighting for the gold miner/prospector. :icon_thumright:
Usually on my bigger dollar eBay items I always donate at least 25% to PLP
Sometimes even 100%

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fighting for our rights! I believe PLP will be getting a few dollars from me.

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Would be easier if they did PayPal, I'm gonna join the PLP, but will have to wait till I can mail a check..credit cards..bleh, credit cards online..go ahead if you want somebody in Russia using your card to buy flat screens.

Mike

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Would be easier if they did PayPal, I'm gonna join the PLP, but will have to wait till I can mail a check..credit cards..bleh, credit cards online..go ahead if you want somebody in Russia using your card to buy flat screens.

Mike
Mike, It doesn't bother me at all to use a card online. I just make sure I'm dealing with reputable entities. I sure hope you do join as they need all the help they can get. THANKS!!!
I'll reply to your pm later...

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
didn't mean it as not reputable!!, meant it as every company/server gets hacked eventually, like home depot etc. etc.

Mike
Mike, I know you didn't mean it that way. I was just stating what I do...

sent from a potato...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread