17th century coins from my site plus raw group shot

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a nearly virgin site you got there. As usual...green with envy here. Nice saves for sure and many more to come:thumbsup:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great assortment of finds from the site, liking the first box lot picture with the coinage sitting on the top.

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, your racking up the treasure! Just a suggestion...I would put all those finds in some kind of display case, except for the coins. You could have two cases for display, and blow people away! Keep it up!

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the comments. Yes, this is a special site. Not just for the finds but since I 1st hunted it the owner was presented with info that shows the site was the home of a well known colonist. So I plan to fully clean and display all the finds together.

Last edited:

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Something tells me you're into something good.:thumbsup:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Every once in a while us colonial relic hunters come across an early, undocumented and unhunted site that produces hundreds of buttons and numerous early coins, and it just doesn't get any better than that. I know you're itching to get back in there and dig every last signal, but like you said earlier, it won't be long before you're done at this site which will be a major downer. Sometimes I like to hunt other sites at the same time to make the great site last a little longer. I know that sounds crazy, but it works. And I can guarantee that even after you're hunted it out, you'll be able to return in the future with renewed enthusiasm and pull a few more nice finds. I can't tell ya how many sites I'd given up on only to go back and get into another hotspot in an unsuspecting area. You just never know ..... And I hope you can find the trash pit as there's no telling what treasures it may hold. Keep up the good work!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! It all looks like pirate loot! Maybe some of it is! :treasurechest: :skullflag::headbang:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man your coppers come out with a gorgeous patina. I'm so impressed with the quality and quality of great finds. What a site! These babies are hard to find. Great job CP

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an amazing site!! I think you will be able to pull relics from that site for years unless it is a strictly "no till" field. Crops and winter weather will keep you out of there for most of the year, and if they plow it occasionally you should have lots of future hunts. What do you estimate the range of occupation to be 1670-1740 or so?

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow!!! That's a site we all dream of! Congrats and can't wait to see what else this site produces. Good luck.

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What an amazing site!! I think you will be able to pull relics from that site for years unless it is a strictly "no till" field. Crops and winter weather will keep you out of there for most of the year, and if they plow it occasionally you should have lots of future hunts. What do you estimate the range of occupation to be 1670-1740 or so?

Yep that date range sounds pretty close to me. Maybe 1680s to 1740. This farmer is way cool and I think they still plow this one. I think he'd be cool if I wanted to take a Bobcat out here. We'll see. It'd be the perfect spot to take 6" off the hot spots a few times and then put it all back. Been wanting to do that at a spot anyhow.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cross potent what the heck did you do this time dig a tunnel under a museum somewhere it just keeps getting better man you done dug more holes than grave digger! If I only could find a site like . I am not sure where you are from but I think you maybe a little worn out and need to rest and let some of us diggers come and take over until you are rested up. To get a chance dig in a site like that I would go any where. Really nice PILE OF RELICS YOU GOT THERE , cant wait to see more .You just keep on digging and I will keep on grinning and shaken my head... vanzutphen

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cross potent what the heck did you do this time dig a tunnel under a museum somewhere it just keeps getting better man you done dug more holes than grave digger! If I only could find a site like . I am not sure where you are from but I think you maybe a little worn out and need to rest and let some of us diggers come and take over until you are rested up. To get a chance dig in a site like that I would go any where. Really nice PILE OF RELICS YOU GOT THERE , cant wait to see more .You just keep on digging and I will keep on grinning and shaken my head... vanzutphen

Lol. Only my 3rd site like this in nearly 25 years of detecting. This one beats the others for finds though. So they def dont come along very often. Ive had a few later 18th century sites produce like this but the 17th sites are tough tough tough to find. Just like Bill said you get lucky and stumble onto one if you keep at it.

If I can talk the farmer into letting me in here with a Bobcat I will buy a gopro and record it. I'll bet big money there would be another bonanza if I could do small 20' x 30' sections with a Bobcat. The plow zone / relic depth is easily up to 15" on the hill and far deeper on the slopes. There's a lot still down there.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HELL cross potent it would look like perk holes everywhere when I was done. good luck waiting to see more!vanzutphen

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice old copper and silver coins! Thank you for sharing!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that's a lot of great stuff, the one pic of all of it all together pits it in perspective! That place was great to you, keep it up!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions