Central, Virginia
Detector(s) used
DEUS XP V5
MINELAB EXPLORER II
NAUTILUS DMC
WHITES COIN MASTER
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Working on food plots, I had the drill planting .... when I felt the disc blades scratch across, what felt like a rock. (rocks are as scarce as Hens teeth in these parts) - threw my hat into the field. On my next pass, I got off the tractor ... to find this grinding stone. It was a couple hundred yards off the Mattaponi River -

100_0508_zpsf3qgsbsj.jpg

100_0509_zpskbktldmv.jpg

Upvote 1

slowwevo

Jan 1, 2014
The Sunshine State/The Golden State
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
let me be the first here to like and comment on this thread,unfortunately I don't think you will get many responses here,my mortal pestle I consider to be one of my prize native finds,went largely un-noticed,thought there were a lot of experts here,they choose to stay silent,unless your there buddy

S

stefen

Unfortunately I'm not seeing a grinding stone...just a scarred flat rock...

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I very much enjoyed seeing it even though I don't know anything about it. Thanks for posting

OP
OP
Bay Beagle

Bay Beagle

Apr 6, 2012
Central, Virginia
Detector(s) used
DEUS XP V5
MINELAB EXPLORER II
NAUTILUS DMC
WHITES COIN MASTER
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hard to get a pic of the "polished" divot

100_0538_zps6u9bqpcs.jpg

100_0537_zpsmd1ra5he.jpg

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The scars all seem fairly recent, because they're bright, without the patina of the rest of the rock. I imagine they're all plow scars. Odd shape. If it were used as a grinding stone, there should be smooth areas on the unscarred surface. If it's sandstone, which it looks like it could be, that's typical. Your first photos looks like it has a smooth down surface, but I honestly cannot tell from your photos for sure. Just use your eyes and hands to see if you can see and feel obvious grinding wear. It's been whacked a lot unfortunately.

OP
OP
Bay Beagle

Bay Beagle

Apr 6, 2012
Central, Virginia
Detector(s) used
DEUS XP V5
MINELAB EXPLORER II
NAUTILUS DMC
WHITES COIN MASTER
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you could find "any" stone (besides "P" gravel), on this 200+ ACRE property - on the river ...... I'd be dumbfounded - I have found Iron Ore Chunks - used as foundations on ole homes .... but not this ...... remember ..... I'm "piedmont" in Virginia .... along the banks of the Mattaponi River (Mattaponi & Pamunkey Indians) tribes are My neighbors -

DaiJen

Dec 11, 2015
North-Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really nice. I've got one I found in West Texas and it is one of my most prized possessions. I don't have a clue to its monetary value and could care less--it's priceless to me. Thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread