Official Massachusetts Bay Silver Thread- Post Your Dug Tree Coins Today!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Alright folks, it's time to show us your dug Massachusetts Bay Colony Silvers. NE, Willow Tree, Oak Tree and Pine Tree Shillings, Sixpences, Threepence and Twopence and cut coins welcome. Please feel free to tell us how you found them and in what general area. I think it would be pretty cool to start building a dug Mass Silver census. If you don't know your variety, a few of us are pretty solid with our ID's.

Bill D, Bill Ladd, Silver Tree Chaser, SteeleHeadWill, Rhode Hog, Lawsonland, BigBobBow, Silversurfer1111 and many more, I'm talkin' to you! Post 'em up!

I'll start things off. This Noe 1 Oak Tree Shilling and quarter cut Noe 5 Pine Tree shilling were found in the same field in Western Massachusetts a few days apart, both with my XP Deus.

date.jpg tree.jpg

Upvote 8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very very interesting breakdown. As IP has said in the past, if you have the sites with the correct date range you certainly have a decent chance at pulling one. I've got one spot in particular I'm very hopeful for. But we all know how expectations work in this crazy hobby. Normally when I'm super excited about a spot it's disappointing. Other times I go into a spot with no written or mapped history of settlement and I find some amazing early coins and relics. Intuition has served me extremely well so far.

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Very very interesting breakdown. As IP has said in the past, if you have the sites with the correct date range you certainly have a decent chance at pulling one. I've got one spot in particular I'm very hopeful for. But we all know how expectations work in this crazy hobby. Normally when I'm super excited about a spot it's disappointing. Other times I go into a spot with no written or mapped history of settlement and I find some amazing early coins and relics. Intuition has served me extremely well so far.

It seems as though people traveled from all over the Eastern seaboard to consign silver to the Boston mint. Large consignments were made from individuals from Virginia, the Caribbean, and Canada. They brought silver to Boston to capitalize on the 3-pence per shilling advantage on the exchange rate (it was profitable to melt Spanish silver, or plate and have it coined into Mass silver even with minting fees). These coins had a very wide circulation. I've read about specimens recovered in England, US Virgin Islands, and all up and down the East Coast. If you're finding cobs or hammered coins, you're certainly on a site capable of producing Mass Silvers, regardless of where you are.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Just saw this thread, but this is all I can muster up ..... From a NOE-11.

mass silver1.JPG

mass silver2.JPG

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My small contributition to this post. This pierced NOE-25, Crosby 3-A2, Salmon 3-A1 Oak tree three pence was a salt water find in what was back in that day part of Falmouth Me. MR

Attachments

• IMG_3012.jpg
    IMG_3012.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_3011.JPG_thumb.jpg
    IMG_3011.JPG_thumb.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 277
OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
My small contributition to this post. This pierced NOE-25, Crosby 3-A2, Salmon 3-A1 Oak tree three pence was a salt water find in what was back in that day part of Falmouth Me. MR

Great find! Too bad about the hole, but it looks great for a saltwater find.

Rhode Hog

Jun 22, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
I agree took some close friends to a corn field that has produced Mass tree coins for me in the past,it now looks like a bombing range with all the unfilled holes.If more than one person know about site it's no longer a secret

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Looks like it was punched with a wire nail...!
Not with a Square Nail or a Cut Nail of the period.
Wonder what it was used for after that?
Was the notch on the edge, part of that use...?
Always more questions than answers, huh?
Nice Find! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Dug Mass Silver #3 today! Pine Tree Threepence, Noe 36 or 37 variety.

image.png

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
My three trees, hopefully this little grove will turn into a forest soon!
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Rhode Hog

Jun 22, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
P1010965.JPG P1010966.JPG Here are my Mass Tree Coins that I have dug over the years that I have pictures of 20150107_113138.jpg 20150107_113202.jpg 20150107_121114.jpg 20150107_121128.jpg 20150107_121225.jpg 20150107_121307.jpg .

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coin found by my friend
SILxVER COIN.jpg ...one of the known originals .. sundman_NE.jpg

I see similarities...if you have redbook of coins - you may see similarities too

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread