My most emotional find ever. (A short story)

Desert Don

Dec 28, 2015
On the Mojave Desert near Mojave.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, and Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505. In the past: Home made detector (circa 1969), World War II mine detector, Fisher M70 M-Scope (1971), Bounty Hunter TR 550, Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s not too often that I get emotional about my finds. But this one nearly brought tears to my eyes. It’s not so much what they are, but rather where I found them. There is a little story about these items that I need to tell. It’s the story of a little boy of 9 years old growing up in the small town of Grimes California. He lived next door to the house his grandfather built in 1908. More than 60 years ago, that little boy was me.

My grandfather died in that house in 1930. My father, as well as all my aunts and uncles, were born in that house. My grandmother passed away in the same house in 1950. A family friend and her family have been the only other people to live there since 1950. As a boy of nine, I played in the yard with her son Gene. Gene and I were best friends.

One day my Uncle Joe came home and gave me the Bayonet shown in the photograph. It is a World War II Japanese Type 30 hooked Bayonet. I have no idea where he got it. But to me it was a sword. I used that sword to fight off dragons, evil knights, and of course, Indians. I chopped down many a Star Thistle in the open field across the street while making tunnels to crawl through. Then one day I got into trouble with it. I chopped the bark off my grandma’s Orange tree! My mother took my sword away from me and left me defenseless against my many imaginary foes. She placed it on top of the old pump house in the back yard. I never saw my sword again.

Jump forward 60 plus years. Last week I went on vacation and paid a visit to the old home place as I have done every few years since leaving Grimes in 1955. I discovered that the family friend who had lived there since grandma died in 1950 had also passed away the year before. A very nice young family now owns the property. After I introduced myself and told him about my connection to the home, he wanted me to tell him all the history I could about the house and the property. He also gave me permission to use my metal detector in the yard, and to keep whatever I found.

I found many odd pieces of iron, and lots of old purple glass pieces and bottle necks. Some of the items were an old water faucet handle, a broken metal knife handle, and a porcelain automobile license plate from about 1916. I also partially excavated the old root cellar that was dug in the back yard in 1909. Redwood timber lined the walls and bricks covered the floor. It was filled in and relocated about 1925. The license plate was found at the 4 foot level. But the most exciting thing found in the hole was three old beer bottles dating to the 1920s era.

All of these items are a direct link to my ancestors. They surely handled each one of these treasures. Each item recovered stirred strange emotion in me. But none did so as much as what I found near where the old pumphouse once stood. My detector rang out the sound of a large iron object about 6 inches down. At first I thought it was just another flat piece of metal. But then the pointed end was uncovered, and I realized that it was a knife. When I finally completely removed it from the ground, I was speechless and shocked to see that it was my long lost sword. Suddenly I was back in time, and my emotions ran wild. I just couldn’t help myself. The wood on the handle was gone, but that didn’t stop me from standing up and swinging it around as if I were a 9 year old boy once again.

The photos are of some of the things I kept from the day. The block of wood is Redwood from the Root Cellar. I expected to find many items from my family history, but I never expected to find an item directly linked to my personal history. This was definitely my best hunt ever!

Desert Don

20160509_172811 (800x450).jpg 20160509_172933 (800x450).jpg 20160509_173009 (800x450).jpg 20160509_173116 (800x450).jpg 20160509_173146 (800x450).jpg 20160509_173208 (800x450).jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 60

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is just too cool! Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Steve

maccounty

Jan 7, 2016
SwMissouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Minelab go find 60 Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story. Thanks for telling it. I have found a lot of things in my grandpa's yard also that brings back memories and things I've found that I wish I knew more about. Glad you found that old sword!

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story Don- Nothing beats finding family history, except perhaps finding your own personal history. Not so much for me.
I found a piece of my old toy metal train track that I had thrown in the woods because I was getting swatted with it too much for acting up! Haha!

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool story.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great post and finds :thumbsup: thanks for sharing 8-)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding both a piece of history and your childhood...

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Great story! I'm very happy that you found your childhood sword! I love being able to research the history of items I find. But, already knowing the history and people behind items that I find, that would be priceless!

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is one of the best stories I've read on TNet in a long time. Way to go!! 8-)

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Who says you can't go back?
Congrats on a very special personal recovery.

OP
OP
D

Desert Don

Dec 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, and Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505. In the past: Home made detector (circa 1969), World War II mine detector, Fisher M70 M-Scope (1971), Bounty Hunter TR 550, Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks.

DD

crabstang44

Mar 10, 2016
eastern nc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Makro racer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
storys and finds like this are good for the soul, sometimes i really miss being a kid

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very touching I gotta go I think there's something in my eye

OP
OP
D

Desert Don

Dec 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a wonderful heartfelt story Don! So happy you found a piece of your childhood in that yard to bring back some sweet memories.

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...what a story. Thanks for sharing it with us. I can only imagine what it must have felt like being reunited with your old "friend"!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread