10 years in the making..... The U.P Cases

Toadiesop

Tenderfoot
Aug 15, 2006
Hey all, thought I'd show off some cases my mother made of finds in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I'd say 90% of the stuff she dug with my meager 10% thrown in. She uses an XLT, I use a beat up Quick Draw II :'( Hahahaha!!!

She put then in the state fair and won First place 3 years in a row??? I think it was three years anyways. Enjoy.

md4hu5.jpg

If you look in the middle/top row of this next picture there's a coin that's in a plastic case.
That's a 1492 King Edward Half Groat I dug in Kalamazoo MI a few years ago.
I was detecting an old church that they had torn up the ground to install new plumbing.
It was BASICALLY ABOVE GROUND. Only about a half inch down in a pile of sand. :o

This is the coin.... not MY coin, but the same thing I found on google.

00282p00.jpg

I think it's safe to say that is going to be my oldest find for the rest of my life.... :D

md1dy4.jpg

m2nr7.jpg

md3um2.jpg

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats your theory on the Groat.

Clearly unlikely to be lost hundreds of years ago right?

From a collector??

R

RUDY2003

Those are some very impressive displays!
Real nice assortment of finds.
Fantastic 1492 Groat......

Keep safe...

OP
OP
T

Toadiesop

Tenderfoot
Aug 15, 2006
My theory on the groat is......

It was probably lost in the late 1800's when the church was built. I'm thinking like this (totally off the cuff here....)

Someone had it as a keepsake of their heritage and lost it at the church.

100 years later I see they are tearing up the ground so the coin goes from a foot deep to 1/2 inch deep.

That's my theory anyways. It's the only way I can think of how a 500+ year old coin would be in MI to begin with, nevermind a half inch down.

Remember, this wasn't "above ground" in the normal sense. It was found in a pile of dirt that had been dug from a few feet down.

Still very cool and like I said, I'm 31 and I have MANY years of detecting to go. I still don't think I'll EVER find anything that old again. I'm still not complaining though. ;D

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'm in michigan and i don't think i'll beat you ;)

HH
-GC

Nancy-IL

Greenie
Mar 12, 2007
North Central IL
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I'm in awe! Congrats on the groat. My oldest is a 1874 Indian cent, but in real good condition. What a display. One question: How did she attach the coins, etc. to the back?

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Don't be so sure you won't find anything older...Who knows who traveled these lands hundreds of years ago and what they lost?? Not the first time I have heard of this, won't be the last either!! Congrats and great displays!!

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
DFX WITH DX-1 PROBE AND XLT WITH XL-1 PROBE
Congrats, Im in mich too. My oldest is an 1848 large cent at public beach. <to be honest my 12 yr old daughter found it but I rinsed it off and Identified it, she lets me call it "ours" lol> But, I do have a few 1865 indian heads and a 2 cent piece that are really mine, from an old city park. Hh dave.

Rebel Man

Jan 26, 2007
Fredericksburg Va
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a Quicksilver & Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey toadiesop/UP
I grew up in Michigan, Flint, 1956 thru 1964 big deal, but hunted and fished in the U.P.( Upper Peninsula ) & played in the dunes that is drove thru the dunes, and the Island in 1964 heh heh in the UP as a young man. I did some research and came up with this, that Jesuit Priests renamed Sault St Marie in 1668 sooooo I believe that fur trading and all the activity in that area might have produced such a coin as this. By the way great find, let us say this the first depth of the coin might explain how long it had been there. Cool digs I started off with the Whites tr back in the day, then the coinmaster etc etc ( Showing my age heh heh but now its the Fisher Quicksilver.) Those are some awesome digs kudos to your mom and yourself
Rebel Man in ole Virgina

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.
very nice display there.

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love those displays, could sit and look at them for hours.... what a variety of objects, all with a great history behind them. They would have me thinking, who lost those items? When? and why? They tell great stories of long ago.

Thanks for showing us them.

God bless
Peter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread