Civil War era mini balls from Nevada

Dec 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are the various dropped and fired 3 ring, ring tail, Sharps Carbine, musket balls and .44 cal pistol balls Ive dug around the site of Fort Churchill in Lyon County, Nevada. Fort Churchill was a Union Army fort located on the Western California Trail and Pony Express route along the Carson River outside Yerington, Nevada. The soldiers, cavalrymen and artillerymen of the Nevada Volunteers manned the fort between 1861-1869 and were responsible for protecting settlers from warring Paiute Indians and badits. Also pictured are percussion caps and a brass toe plate from a soldier's boot.
e3b73deb05a6dedb16da4a33526641f7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Upvote 6

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
These are the various dropped and fired 3 ring, ring tail, Sharps Carbine, musket balls and .44 cal pistol balls Ive dug around the site of Fort Churchill in Lyon County, Nevada. Fort Churchill was a Union Army fort located on the Western California Trail and Pony Express route along the Carson River outside Yerington, Nevada. The soldiers, cavalrymen and artillerymen of the Nevada Volunteers manned the fort between 1861-1869 and were responsible for protecting settlers from warring Paiute Indians and badits. Also pictured are percussion caps and a brass toe plate from a soldier's boot.
e3b73deb05a6dedb16da4a33526641f7.jpg

I'm curious about the 2 bullets on the bottom row right side... Are those Savage bullets or something else??

OP
OP
High Sierra Digger
Dec 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious about the 2 bullets on the bottom row right side... Are those Savage bullets or something else??
Im not certain. Im fairly new to CW era bullets and it seems as though I learn something new with every dig. I displayed those two on the lower right, because I just wasnt sure and disnt want to just toss them. The more I learn, however, the more Im convinced that A) theyre old and B) theyre not THAT old.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hey there High Sierra Digger, thanx for the show & tell ! I didn't think any activity of the people at that fort extended across to the other side of the road. Ie.: that seems to be a bit of a distance from the nearest of the Fort buildings. Oh well, you can't argue with period targets !

Oh, and technically speaking ......... while it's true that BLM has no express prohibitions on detectors ..... yet it falls under ARPA. So technically, your bullets over 50 yrs. old weren't supposed to be removed. But it's ok: When you find the first seated half (or any other coin over 50 yrs. old) on that side of the road: Send it to me. I will absolve your conscience of all guilt ! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread