Civil War era mini balls from Nevada

Dec 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are the various dropped and fired 3 ring, ring tail, Sharps Carbine, musket balls and .44 cal pistol balls Ive dug around the site of Fort Churchill in Lyon County, Nevada. Fort Churchill was a Union Army fort located on the Western California Trail and Pony Express route along the Carson River outside Yerington, Nevada. The soldiers, cavalrymen and artillerymen of the Nevada Volunteers manned the fort between 1861-1869 and were responsible for protecting settlers from warring Paiute Indians and badits. Also pictured are percussion caps and a brass toe plate from a soldier's boot.
e3b73deb05a6dedb16da4a33526641f7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Upvote 6

absosecur

Oct 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
These are the various dropped and fired 3 ring, ring tail, Sharps Carbine, musket balls and .44 cal pistol balls Ive dug around the site of Fort Churchill in Lyon County, Nevada. Fort Churchill was a Union Army fort located on the Western California Trail and Pony Express route along the Carson River outside Yerington, Nevada. The soldiers, cavalrymen and artillerymen of the Nevada Volunteers manned the fort between 1861-1869 and were responsible for protecting settlers from warring Paiute Indians and badits. Also pictured are percussion caps and a brass toe plate from a soldier's boot.
e3b73deb05a6dedb16da4a33526641f7.jpg

Hey bud what is the name of the bullet on the top row all the way to the right hand side of row??? I found one of those not too long ago and was not sure about it. I assumed it to be old because it was white like most Minnie's but I had never dug or seen one like it before. Anyone else is welcome to chime in also.

OP
OP
High Sierra Digger
Dec 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey bud what is the name of the bullet on the top row all the way to the right hand side of row??? I found one of those not too long ago and was not sure about it. I assumed it to be old because it was white like most Minnie's but I had never dug or seen one like it before. Anyone else is welcome to chime in also.
That one has me stumped! I can tell you that it was a surface find in an area where I dug 3 dropped and dozens of fired three ringers and round balls. It's not like any round of that period I've ever seen. At first, I thought it might be a cleaner bullet, but after doing some research, I've dismissed that possibility.

OP
OP
High Sierra Digger
Dec 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering if it is a modern round.
It's definitely not modern. Its a cast bullet, and cast crudely at that. By the size, it's in the neighborhood of .50 caliber.

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Isn't that area off limits as an Archeological site? I'm not sure, but you may want to be sure as there could be an issue for you around there. Theres a story of folks detecting near Verdi to the west that got some publicity. Just sayin'!

OP
OP
High Sierra Digger
Dec 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't that area off limits as an Archeological site? I'm not sure, but you may want to be sure as there could be an issue for you around there. Theres a story of folks detecting near Verdi to the west that got some publicity. Just sayin'!
Only inside the park itself, everything the other side of Ft Churchill Rd is BLM land. I would never condone searching or digging inside a state historical site. Besides...I make sure about any area BEFORE I dig. If I'm not sure, I dont dig!

Last edited:

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh, that's good. Glad to hear that. By the way, nice collection!

OP
OP
High Sierra Digger
Dec 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, that's good. Glad to hear that. By the way, nice collection!
Thank you! A few things I cant stand; people that dig without permission, ruining it for the rest of us, and jackasses who dont fill their holes in!

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Right! I can tell when the beaches here have been detected. That shouldn't happen. I always fill my holes. I feel like it's my place and I want it to look just as nice as when I arrived. I hope more folks will read threads like this, see responsible successful detectorists and take as much pride in the beauty of the area as we do. Please, folks, fill yoir holes back in. OK, I'm off my soap box.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That top one on the right looks a lot like a modern muzzle loader round to me... but what do I know?

I think that the third pic is what you have. Acme Bullet in Graham, NC makes hand poured ones.

Google: Maxi Ball

Is the bottom of your bullet flat or cupped? If flat, then modern.

Excellent finds sir.

Attachments

• Bullet.jpg
    Bullet.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 203
  • Bullet2.jpg
    Bullet2.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 194
  • Bullet3.jpg
    Bullet3.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
OP
OP
High Sierra Digger
Dec 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That top one on the right looks a lot like a modern muzzle loader round to me... but what do I know?

I think that the third pic is what you have. Acme Bullet in Graham, NC makes hand poured ones.

Google: Maxi Ball

Is the bottom of your bullet flat or cupped? If flat, then modern.

Excellent finds sir.
It's flat on the bottom...looks like the mystery is solved. Thanks for the info!

absosecur

Oct 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Yep mine is flat bottom also. I was thinking modern. Thanks for the info. What threw me off was mine has the white chalky look to it. I have been told that comes from in ground electrolysis over yrs of being there. I've never known how long it takes lead to turn white like most Minnie's that are dug. Thanks.

OP
OP
High Sierra Digger
Dec 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds High Sierra Digger!!! :occasion14:
Thank you! The area I search is huge! Im headed back out this week looking for whole cannonvalls. It'll be a while before it's searched out!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice assortment of Minnie' Balls, Percussion Caps, and the toe plate. Keep at it. Maybe you will come across some Artillery Shells too. Continued Success to you. What MD do you use? I am a CW Relic Hunter from Georgia and I use the White's MXT All Pro.

Last edited:
OP
OP
High Sierra Digger
Dec 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice assortment of Minnie' Balls, Percussion Caps, and the toe plate. Keep at it. Maybe you will come across some Artillery Shells too. Continued Success to you. What MD do you use? I am a CW Relic Hunter from Georgia and I use the White's MXT All Pro.
Thank you! I'm using a Makro Gold Racer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread