I consider this as one of my BEST FINDS and not with a Metal Detector

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Service mans dog tag found.
around 1993 I belonged t oa Metal Detecting group in Dover Ohio (Silver Seekers) I received a email from then asking if i knew anyone in Alpena michigan area. It was a generac everyone request. It seems a fellow detectoris in Melbourne Australia had been detectong around a old abanoned Hospital there and found a dog tag from World War 2 and wanted to give it back to the persons family as a rememberance. The person had been signed in at Alpena Michigan. My grandfather had been a Sheriff up there in the 50 and 60's I think. So i decided maybe I could locate his family and help return his dog tag to his family. I called up there and talked to a lot of people with the last name on the tag asking if they knew of this person. One party told me that branch of the family he thought moved to the Grand Rapids Michigan area.
So i started calling in the Grand Rapids Michigan area asking about this persons last name . My Calls always went like this . " This is not a prank call or Soliticiatiuon call please hear out. Did you fater serve in teh Military in Wiorld war 2 and was he stationed in Australia? My thrid call to Grand Rapids Went like this. Did your father Serve in World war 2 in Australia ? The reply came back NO BUT I DID !~~!!. I was flsabbergasted. he asked me how i knew he had served there. So I told him the story about the fellow finding his dog tags. He said he remember getting in trouble for losing them. Well to make this far shorter then it was i connected the two parties . They talked on te hphone and the Grand Rapids news paper Duid a big story on the two. I was happy to be able to bring a little joy to each of them. The fellow in GR sent me the news paper artice about them.

Hope you liked this story youy just never KNOW DO YOU !!!

Upvote 16

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome story! That should generate some good karma for you and the others.
Thanks for sharing it. Best of luck!

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on People lets hear your best Story !!!
\

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
My Best story is: I said to my wife, "Every time i want to use my new Equinox it's been raining!".
She responded with, "Isn't it waterproof?" I laughed and said, "Yes it is".
She said, "But you're not" :laughing7:

My wife is my Best find.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years back I found a very large manilla envelope while clearing an office building. Inside were over 100 Photos of hunting and fishing, very neat, from the 30's to the 1970's. On the back was a letterhead stating please return photos when you are finished. I found them in Tennessee and the letterhead was from Texas. So for grins I googled the guy. Long story short, he had loaned them to a friend for a hunting and fishing magazine article. The friend Died while in possession of the photos and he never got them back. They were of his family. generations of adventure. The man was crying. They had been gone since the 1980's, over 30 years!
I returned them to him. Turns out the man was extremely wealthy and invited me to Argentina for a dove hunt. I went. It was spectacular. Still have lunch with him every time I'm in Texas.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice Story TrdKing , Thanks for sharing. I have other return stories and maybe some time i will share some more

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found 2 million dollars once and returned it. Well sort of. It was worth 2 million and I discovered it in a friends file cabinet. He had no idea what it was worth.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well Gare my Friend, once again you have been the middle man in locating another Vet family for a tag return. The tag has been mailed, just waiting for the response. pretty awesome feeling isn't it? The wife says that she loved your story too. Very glad that our paths have crossed as they have.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gare, that was indeed a fantastic story and a job well done on the return of the vet's dog tags. Every good Deed get's one in return. Stand by. Thanks for sharing this with us.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great posts nice return HM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread