Biggest ever sliver ring at swimming hole!

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven been out too much lately as far as hunting go's. It is hot here in Louisiana in Aug and early Sept. And 100 percent humidity. I had always wanted to go to an old swimming hole I remembered as a teenager about twenty miles from my home. Its at a place called Fishville, La. between Pollock and Jena , La. on the map. You can Google it on the maps. Back in the 1950's just a general store, skating rink and large pool on a creek nearby. But it was always crowded back then. Today just an old store remains. I went to it last weekend. I was using my Ace 250. Hunting around the stream where the swimming hole use to be. if you did not know it was there ,you could not tell today. It is grown up with small trees and trash.The big tree that had a rope on it is an old rotted stump.
I found a lot of pull tabs and old bottle tops from beer bottles and soft drinks. About six wheat penneys and some clad. As I was passing my detector over one spot about a foot from the stream I got a broken signal and did it once more. It showed a silver dollar. I just shook my head and said, never found one, its nothing but a metal piece of slag, beer can, or something else. Well I dug. About 5 inches below the dirt out popped the biggest silver ring I have ever found. Thought it was an Army ring at first, because this area was the center of training during World war Two. Nope. A United States Maritime Service Ring. From what I know very rare and probably pre WW-2. Can anyone add any info for me. Its big and heavy and marked Sterling, but has no other marks. I have found probably 15 or 20 silver rings over the past 20 plus years of md'ing, but nothing ever this big. Thought I would share.
DG

Attachments

• ringtop.jpg
    ringtop.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 2,226
  • ringside.jpg
    ringside.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 2,227
  • ringinside.jpg
    ringinside.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 2,214
Upvote 0