Abe Lincoln was president when my best find (so far) was lost.

Foot hill

Aug 26, 2013
Ca foot hills. (Central ca.)
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and tesoro compadre minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,
Been detecting most of my life of and on starting with my first Whites 6000di pro
Then a few Tesoro’s
Now using a Deus and my new minelab equinox.
The small profile of the Deus allows me to get to more remote areas than the other machines..enter last weekend
I packed up my gear in backpack, hopped on my road bike (bicycle) and headed out to a local cellar hole that I’ve found a few Indian heads and random relics few years ago.
As I was riding I spotted a rock lined dried out creek.
56237104912__DC7816C7-1F42-4A2D-990F-DCB35A6693AB.JPG
I drive that road all the time and have never spotted it before.
Got off the roadway and into the woods, assembled my gear and took off with that positive attitude that most of us start a new location with.
IMG_6873.JPG
The area was silent... using “hot”open program (hardly any discrimination)
Just silence... a few times I waved coil over my shoes just to make sure the detector was on.
I found a few deeper handgun bullets and the odd brass bit.
Dug up a huge ore cart axle
IMG_6864.JPG

Came across a small running spring and found several Indian acorn grinding holes near water. IMG_6870.JPG

Then up to the rock lined water flume that had caught my eye from the road.
Snack in the middle of deer trail paralleling flume I bought that sweet High tone that caused me to back track and zero in on.
Beeep -beeep -beeep
Unmistakable roundness!
It’s deep too!
Wait... could be deep iron, I raise coil up and signal disappears-good sign!
I cross check from my 12kh to 4kh and the Id number goes down @ 10 points- Great sign!
I new it was going to be good
Carefully pinpointed and armed with only my heavy ww2 pic ax I began to dig

Carefully I dug down to point where my pinpointer could barely pick it up.
I started to dig a square mote around the pinpointed target to lessen chance of damaging the target.
Then carefully popped the square island of dried clay out.
Scanning the hole the signal was gone.
It’s out!
Picked up the clod and began breaking it open.
That fine patina silver gets with age is so nice!
56237323760__7567E37E-DBA1-4B1F-9BA2-2BEEE04F0D58.JPG
56237328559__7C007125-4695-4ADD-AF25-BE74F3EB164D.JPG
I was as careful as I could be not to rub to harshly so took time getting the date.
Dipped it in the spring water and boom!
1863 seated library dime!

I’m in Central California and we do not have super old history like Europe or even east cost history so this was a super find for me.
Amazing to think Civil war was full on and Abraham Lincoln was the president.
I really do love this hobby.
Thanks for reading my story.
IMG_6883.JPG IMG_6882.JPG

Upvote 41

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seriously!
I’ve got well over $250 in clad and have probably only nicked maybe 10 coins of that bunch.
Biggest issue for me is where the old stuff is it’s super hard rock embedded clay.
Watching metal detecting videos where a tee handled shovel is all that’s required is amazing to me.
I could use a large portable air compressor with construction jack hammer to bust through this hard ca clay.
My friend watches me as I dig a signal and freaks out because it looks like I’m just going crazy.
But I do try to get really good pinpoint on target and concentrate my digging “around the target then use pinpointer to keep guiding me.
I think I might of put slight scratches in it. Under magnification although I was really careful not to rub it.
I’ll be even more careful next time.
So glad I didn’t “sign” my dime lol

I've got a bit of clad as well (not nearly as much, only a couple bucks worth) and don't recall nicking many, if any, of them. Of course I found a walking liberty half the other day and that is the coin that I hit with my shovel. :BangHead:

haility

May 30, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and great story! My first seated dime was in hard dry dirt in a city park. I was sure it would be a penny or a clad dime so in my haste to get it I put a nice little autograph on it with my lesche. It was in similar condition as yours but it was an 1891. The next one I found was gray from saltwater and when I rubbed the sand off it I put tiny scratches on it. My goal is to recover one without hitting it etc. Sarkari Result Pnr Status 192.168.1.1 It's funny how many clad coins I have recovered without any mistakes.

.enter last weekend
I packed up my gear in backpack, hopped on my road bike (bicycle) and headed out to a local cellar hole that I’ve found a few Indian heads and random relics few years ago.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread