Found $2000 in Canada Lake Louise Restroom (1981)

WilliamBoyd

Sep 22, 2007
California
One of my strangest travel adventures.

In the summer of 1981 I was living in rural California and not working.

I decided to take a sightseeing car trip around the western US and Canada.

One night I stayed at a hostel in Missoula Montana where I met a guy who was bicycling around the country.

He needed a ride to Canada's Lake Louise and Banff National Park, and, as I was headed there,
I drove him on a share-expenses arrangement.
When we got to Banff, he left and I did not see him again.

In the summer, Lake Louise sets up trailers with restrooms in front of the large hotel "Chateau".

On July 13, 1981, I went into one of the cubicles, and found a dirty rag laying the corner.
I picked up the rag and found it to be a crude money belt full of American cash bills, 20's and 50's, later amounting to $2120.

I met another man outside, Lucien, and told him about the find.
We decided to turn it into the police.

There was a RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police, "Mounties") station there, and we gave the money belt and our home addresses to a Corporal Taylor.
He told us that if nobody claimed it, they would send the money to the two of us.

I remember at the time being disappointed that the "Mountie" was dressed like an ordinary policeman, and not wearing the red uniform the Mounties wear in the movies.

I was staying at a hostel in Banff, and I mentioned what happened to people there, so the news about the find got around the area.

I later returned to California, took a long trip to South America, and went back to work in March 1982.

Somebody called me and told me that a Patrick was claiming to have lost the money belt, and if I wanted the money, I should hire a lawyer in Canada.
I was referred to a Canadian law firm and one of their lawyers.

I was advised to type up an affidavit, have it notarized, and have a Canadian consulate forward it to the attorney, which I did.
I remember visiting the Consulate in San Francisco, where a very attractive young woman accepted the paperwork.
(I wonder if she stayed with the diplomatic service).

Patrick's description of the money belt did not match the one I found.
In October 1982 Patrick dropped his claim and the Alberta Attorney General told the RCMP to send us the money.

In November 1982 I received a check in US funds for $929.74, Lucien got $929.75, and the lawyer got $260.51.

I saved some of the letters, affidavits, and legal paperwork from this adventure.

:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
Great story and fair play to you for doing the right thing and turning it in. And let this be a lesson to anybody thinking of making a "home-made" moneybelt....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story & Outcome.

Nice to know the Canadian Mounties are honest.

Jeff

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty cool but why in the world would you split it with some guy you met outside the bathroom? Should have just kept it when you found it. You'd have all of it and wouldn't have to go through all that red tape and lawyer fees.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
tell only the mounties --you found it -- straight forword from there -- you get it all after no one claimed it -- loose lips sink ships and cost you money -- telling "your" freind cost 50% and telling others cost you lawyers fees after they put forth bogus claims---a lucky guess about the homemade belt apperance could have cost you the whole thing -- lesson learned --zip the lip on finds like these--- the less press is the best press -- great find and story I must admit -- what goodie did you get with the find money? -- or did ya just pay bills ?

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really enjoyed your story. There is a lesson for all to be learned in this read. What you did was commendable...Steve

MrMorph

Aug 16, 2007
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70
The weirdest thing.... (btw... that's a fantastic story).... I was a boy scout that year. We went to Banff and Jasper, etc. I was at that same Chateau only 2 weeks prior to this happening. I can't imagine what I would have done as a 13 year old finding something like that. I would definitely turned it in. That is quite neat though.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Gee, that story makes me want to sack up all the goodies I have dug from
Mother Earth with my bony fingers and haul it all down to the Police Station.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread