1733 Colonial Sundial Found and Restored

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this sundial, the earliest in the Carolinas, last year. It is one of the earliest from southern colonial America. When I found the piece it had been bent and damaged so I sent it to an expert in restoring metal objects.
It has been the best find of my relic hunting career. I hope to get some detailed info from people who know about sundials.
Thanks for looking! Keith sundial perspective.jpg face1.jpg name coord date rose.jpg face2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 48

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, that came out really nice. Great find and nice to see you put in the time and effort to restore it to its original state!

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice ! I cant wait to see it in person.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wicked cool! Do you know who "Walter Lane" was? Is it the name of the manufacturer?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's one that is reminiscent of yours... 100 years older that sold at Christies while ago... don't know price.

Just in case your interested.

d3872694x.jpg

OP
OP
SC Keith

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's one that is reminiscent of yours... 100 years older that sold at Christies while ago... don't know price.

Just in case your interested. Thanks for providing this example. I have seen quite a few older than mine, but only two older than mine from southern colonial America.

View attachment 1692838

Wicked cool! Do you know who "Walter Lane" was? Is it the name of the manufacturer?
I dont know if he is the maker or the person this piece was made for. I will begin to send images to individuals that may have some facts on this dial.

Last edited:

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an amazing find as well as restoration!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SC Keith,
Thanks for re-posting the pic of that amazing find. When you originally posted it in june(?) 2018, I had just recently joined tnet and didn't even know how to vote for a banner find - until I saw this piece. Your picture of this sundial was one of the major reasons why I continued on tnet. Among the hundreds of great finds, including the gold coins I've seen here, this one artifact remains my very favorite.

OP
OP
SC Keith

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SC Keith,
Thanks for re-posting the pic of that amazing find. When you originally posted it in june(?) 2018, I had just recently joined tnet and didn't even know how to vote for a banner find - until I saw this piece. Your picture of this sundial was one of the major reasons why I continued on tnet. Among the hundreds of great finds, including the gold coins I've seen here, this one artifact remains my very favorite.
Megalodon,
I reallly appreaciate your nice comments. I am in the process of showing image to nationally recognized individuals on early time keeping instruments. I will post any interesting comments which I hope to recieve back.
Thanks again for posting and I wish you success in your treasure hunting adventures!!
Keith

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The restoration looks great Keith, too bad we can't nominate it back onto the banner!
Too bad you couldn't find the other piece (that casts the shadow)

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Museum quality relic, amazing

OP
OP
SC Keith

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The restoration looks great Keith, too bad we can't nominate it back onto the banner!
Too bad you couldn't find the other piece (that casts the shadow)[/QUOTE
Thanks Steve! I do have the broken vane called a gnomon, which was still on piece as found. the restorer took it off and sent it back with the dial. Someone was unkind to this dial in the 1700s. LOL!!

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an amazing find, and the restoration came off beautifully!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Keith,
That is perhaps one of the nicest relics I’ve ever seen here. Awesome restoration work!

staninbji

Nov 26, 2016
All over!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful relic. Congratulations and HH!

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding find and restoration!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SC Keith, you knocked it out of the ball park with the Colonial Sundial. The restoration to this piece turned out amazing. Congratulations to you on one Fantastic relic and piece of our History. This would make a great center piece for any collection. I know you are proud of this once in a lifetime find.:notworthy::icon_thumleft::usflag:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread