My Best Coins Found Since October 2004 - Gold, Silver & Colonials

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
My Best Coins Found Since October 2004 - Gold, Silver & Colonials

These are the best coins I've found since I started metal detecting in October, 2004. Many of them have been posted individually here on T-Net over the past couple of years, but this is the first time I've posted them together. Also, I have about 15 more King George colonials and American Large Cents but they are even more corroded than some of the ones in the case. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• coins.jpg
    coins.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 950
  • coins2.jpg
    coins2.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 956
  • coins3.jpg
    coins3.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 933
  • coins4.jpg
    coins4.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 935
  • coins5.jpg
    coins5.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 935
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My Best Coins Found Since October 2004 - Gold, Silver & Colonials

FANTASTIC coin finds! Is that a New York Copper in the top left? Quite a coin if it is! Oh, and have you identified the one on the bottom in the middle (the really big one)? Cartwheel perhaps?

Regards,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

BuckleBoy said:
FANTASTIC coin finds! Is that a New York Copper in the top left? Quite a coin if it is! Oh, and have you identified the one on the bottom in the middle (the really big one)? Cartwheel perhaps?

Regards,

Buckleboy

Hey Buckleboy,

The coin in the upper left is a 1787 Massachusetts cent. It was found on July 3rd of this year and was posted here on T-Net. Also, you're right about the big copper at the bottom; it is a 1797 Cartwheel Penny. Looking at it closely, you can make out part of the inner edge rim and the knee of Brittania. Here's a couple of close-ups of the Mass. Cent.

Attachments

• mass.jpg
    mass.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 858
  • mass2.jpg
    mass2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 855

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Amazing collection!! My mouth is watering. :o

happysailor

Oct 18, 2007

birdman said:
Amazing collection!! My mouth is watering. :o

X2 awesome find..like birdman my mouth is watering..

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NICE!!!!!

A very outstanding collection of finds. My hat's off to you!!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks good, not many years & a great collection. Lets hope you can double it in half the time :) Hard targets :)

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice variety of coins found, and I know you also got some nice artifacts since October 2004. Very commendable finds and nice group photos.

Don

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

WOW! That is an impressive haul of coppas! You are the man! I always enjoy your threads!

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Bookfisher, amazing collection for only three years of detecting. I'm looking forward to your next three years!! :o :o

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

Thanks guys and gals for your positive comments - I appreciate it. You know, I was a little self conscience about posting my best coins, cause like I said many have been posted before, and I also felt like maybe I was blowing my own horn a little too much, but I guess what else is this forum for, if we can't do a little braggin. Right?

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great coins bookfisher. That Massachussetts cent is awesome. What is the coin next to the seated liberty dime. It looks to be silver and appears as if it was made into a button at some point. Can we get a close up of that one? Great post. We love to see things like this so don't feel like you're patting yourself on the back too much. Keep 'em coming. I also love all of the large coppers. I could never see too many of those.

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

Evolution said:
Great coins bookfisher. That Massachussetts cent is awesome. What is the coin next to the seated liberty dime. It looks to be silver and appears as if it was made into a button at some point. Can we get a close up of that one? Great post. We love to see things like this so don't feel like you're patting yourself on the back too much. Keep 'em coming. I also love all of the large coppers. I could never see too many of those.

Hey Evolution,

It's a 1781 Half Reale converted into a button. Found it this year back in late March or early April, in probably the best woods I'll ever hunt. Some my best and earliest coins came from this site. I had been hunting it since June 2006, and after hitting these woods at least 50 to 60 times, it still produced the Massachusetts Cent back on July 3rd of this year. Below is a list of the best coins and relics to come out of these woods.

Attachments

• 1781a.jpg
    1781a.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 691
  • 1781.jpg
    1781.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 692
OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

Here a list of the best coins and relics to come from the woods where I got the Mass Cent:

1711 Spanish Seisenio Copper Coin
1738 King George II Colonial Copper
1771 Spanish 1 Reale (Extremely worn, though date is visible)
1774 Spanish 1/2 Reale
1778 Spanish 1 Reale
1781 Spanish 1/2 Reale (Converted to a button)
1780s Nova Constellatio Copper
1787 Massachusetts One Cent Copper
1803 Kettle Replica or Game Marker Coin
1812 Classic Head Large Cent
1821 Matron Head Large Cent
1824 Matron Head Large Cent
1829 Capped Bust Half Dime
1837 Hard Times Token (Found By Rob)
1837 Hard Times Token - "Not One Cent For Tribute"
1841 Seated Liberty Dime
1842 Braided Hair Large Cent
1852 Silver Three Cents Piece
1863 Indian Head Penny
1864 Counterfeit California Gold Dollar Coin
1890 Seated Liberty Dime
1894 Barber Quarter
1897 Barber Dime
1902 Barber Dime
1905-S Barber Dime
1920 Buffalo Nickel
1920 Walking Liberty Half Dollar (Found By Rob)
1937 Mercury Dime
1952 Washington Quarter
Four or Five Other Indian Head Pennies (Can't Remember The Dates) And A Few Wheat Cents.

Also In The Keeper Case:
Very Worn Colonial Copper Probably William III (1650-1702)
Very Corroded King George II Colonial Copper
War Of 1812 Light Artillery 1st Regiment Button
C1812 US Navy Button In Extremely Fine Condiiton (Found By Rob)
C1820-1830 US Navy Button In Extremely Fine Condition
C1900 Admiral Dewey "Welcome Our Hero" Souvenir Medal
C1920 Knights Templar Medal From Syracuse New York
C1937 Speed Gibson's Flying Police Tin Badge (Radio Premium Missing Back Pin)

Some of you may be wondering why Rob has found so little - it's just that he is HIGHLY allergic to poison ivy and has not ventured into these woods but only a few times. Needless to say, I don't get poison ivy.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bookfisher said:
Evolution said:

Hey Evolution,

It's a 1781 Half Reale converted into a button. Found it this year back in late March or early April, in probably the best woods I'll ever hunt. Some my best and earliest coins came from this site. I had been hunting it since June 2006, and after hitting these woods at least 50 to 60 times, it still produced the Massachusetts Cent back on July 3rd of this year. Below is a list of the best coins and relics to come out of these woods.
Very interesting find Bookfisher. I've never seen one converted into a button before. I also noticed that you found a War of 1812 artillery button at this site. Did it look like this one? I found this one this year at an old site I've been hunting.

Attachments

• IMG_0862.JPG
    IMG_0862.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 647
  • IMG_0863.JPG
    IMG_0863.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 641
  • IMG_0863.JPG
    IMG_0863.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 649
  • IMG_0862.JPG
    IMG_0862.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 637
OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

Evolution said:
bookfisher said:
Evolution said:

Hey Evolution,

Very interesting find Bookfisher. I've never seen one converted into a button before. I also noticed that you found a War of 1812 artillery button at this site. Did it look like this one? I found this one this year at an old site I've been hunting.

Here's a few close-ups of some buttons: The first picture is the War of 1812 Light Artillery 1st Regiment found on the aforementioned site. The button in the second picture appears to be similar to your button and was found in a different area, and the third button is a circa 1800-1815 New York State Militia. The NY State militia button is also from a different woods, but was found about 200 yards away from where I found the C1815-25 Militia Waist Belt Plate. So there's a real good chance their related.

Attachments

• button.jpg
    button.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 615
  • button2.jpg
    button2.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 608
  • button3a.jpg
    button3a.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 596

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Those are some great buttons. I found a really beat up one. :( Oh well. Maybe the next one will be better.

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006

Hey Bill ,I know about all the super finds you have made,but seeing them all together is just AWESOME and humbling and inspirational to me,who lives in the same town as you do.Super congrats! Tom

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

Totally impressive collection of finds BF. That gold coin is one of the prettiest around. Thanks for sharing!!!

:)

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

Evolution said:
Those are some great buttons. I found a really beat up one. :( Oh well. Maybe the next one will be better.

That button will probably clean up. Try cleaning it very lightly with a very soapy brillo pad so you don't scratch it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread