My Oldest American Wilver

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Dudes, I found this 1835 Capped Bust half dime at the "Coronet Field" last week. I have a feeling that one more old wilver is waiting to be recovered from this site. Wish us luck!

Kirk

cappedbust004.jpg

cappedbust011.jpg

Upvote 0

jonw440

May 26, 2004
Central,MA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, M6, Classic ID
Great find! It looks like a plow hit once. :o
Or maybe its just the wear on the coin.
Either way a FANTASTIC coin!!

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300
Way to go 'Mr. Whites'!!! ;) :)

That's the way to work the field...can't wait to see the other one you dig! ;D

Best of luck and a HUGE Congrats! :D

~Hank 8)

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirk, that is a coin to be proud of. I tried to make your photos a tad better, if you want to use it go ahead, if you do I will delete this one afterwards.

Psst, even if you are using a scanner, if you put silver on Red, Blue, Black or Dark Green Background it makes it appear much nicer. White is tough for photographing coins.

Don

Attachments

• 1835HalfDime Kirk.jpg
    1835HalfDime Kirk.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 869

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Hey Kirk,

Welcome to the Capped Bust Club! Definitely a rare find, and as Don said, one to be proud of, since finding them is such an uncommon occurence. I know this is your post, but please allow me to describe how I felt when I found my second Capped (the first was a holed 1814 dime, that came early in my MDing career and I didn't realize how rare of a find it was). Back in April of this year, my MXT got a straight on penny reading at three inches. Never, did it flash through my mind that the target was going to be anything better than a cent coin. When I came up with an 1829 Capped Half Dime, it was almost the biggest rush of anything I ever dug. Number one on the list is my first real old coin (an 1802 Large Cent) that I dug with my Prism II, about four months after getting involved in this hobby. So again, congrats on the bust, and it just goes to show that, persistence and determination and hunting the right spots will pay off with some exciting finds!

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find...you must really be in a great location...I would not have a clue where to look around my area for anything like that...BTW is this wilver word supposed to be "Mr Ed" for silver, or what???

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
thats awesome Kirk! hopefully there is more than "one more" at that place! ;)

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Kirk! I would love to dig one of those. My wife is from Pittsburg area ,might have to take the detector out there next time we go.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Psst, even if you are using a scanner, if you put silver on Red, Blue, Black or Dark Green Background it makes it appear much nicer. White is tough for photographing coins.

Don

Check out that 1857-O Seated Dime "CW Picket Post" thread of mine. Like the BLUE background on the cleaned up coin? That was no accident. ;D Blue background also on the "Kentucky Diggers" threads too...

Regards,

Buckleboy

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Don in SJ said:

Check out that 1857-O Seated Dime "CW Picket Post" thread of mine. Like the BLUE background on the cleaned up coin? That was no accident. ;D Blue background also on the "Kentucky Diggers" threads too...

I have shown this photo a few times before but I am sure there are those who have not seen it, I took one of my copper finds and one of my silver finds, photographed under the same settings and distance, just changed the background paper, amazing the differences.

Don

Attachments

• BACKGROUNDDEMONSTRATION.JPG
    BACKGROUNDDEMONSTRATION.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 736

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I saw dat Kirkster. Congratulations, you've made yer Shamokin ancestas proud. Ironically, my oldest American silver was just found a couple of weeks ago, the 1814 Capped Bust dime.

I'm not gonna mention yer name tomorrow at the GPAA Gold and Treasure show, don't wanna take any chances on getting thrown out or barred :-* BUT the Richster is proud of ya. :-*

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread