invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All, from late September to mid-October I detected at a former 1 room school house built in 1854. Among the artifacts found were 3 pieces of a school desk shown in the first photo after being cleaned up and painted. Normally I put artifacts in educational display cases and donate them to a local historical society. This time however I decided to shorten the 2 feet and mount them to a solid cherry wooden block as a gift to the historical society Director who retires on December 18th. The brass plaque honors her contributions. The wood block with the attached feet is heavy enough that it could be used either as a door stop or paperweight. If your home/garage is becoming cluttered with finds, re-purposing them like this is a way to give them a second life.

Research shows that the larger 3-toe foot on the right was manufactured by the Sidney School Furniture Company sometime between 1881 and 1901 most likely for “The Fashion” school desk. I believe the other foot was manufactured by the Champion School Desk Company. But when and for what style desk remains a mystery. When I present the wooden block to the Director, I’ll give her the option of researching those questions.

Attachments

• C.jpg
    C.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 131
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    760.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    692.9 KB · Views: 176
Upvote 15

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Outstanding work! Looks awesome mounted on the Cherry Wood. The Director will love it!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great idea and work on the retirement presentation gift. I'm sure this will be most appreciated and most meaningful to the retiring Director. Again a great idea on giving these old pieces of History new life.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Great job.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding work! Looks awesome mounted on the Cherry Wood. The Director will love it!

RustyGold, thanks. The cherry wood not only looks great but is hefty for its size - a good choice for a door stop or paperweight.

OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea and work on the retirement presentation gift. I'm sure this will be most appreciated and most meaningful to the retiring Director. Again a great idea on giving these old pieces of History new life.

devldog, appreciate the kudos.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job he will love it I do

OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A2coins, thanks, she will love it.:hello: I heard she'll cry at the ceremony so just in case I came up with a Mission (Im)possible skit - that might lighten the mood. Attached is what I plan to put in the envelope.

Attachments

• Mission Impossible.pdf
    368.9 KB · Views: 56

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I got the Bond connection upon reading "Good evening Mrs. Bondi". Classy and retro. All in all, a very well thought out gift!

"A gift well received, is a gift well given"! Or is it, " A gift well given, is a gift well received"?

OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the Bond connection upon reading "Good evening Mrs. Bondi". Classy and retro. All in all, a very well thought out gift!

"A gift well received, is a gift well given"! Or is it, " A gift well given, is a gift well received"?

RustyGold, I didn't even make the Bondi/Bond connection - thanks for pointing it out:thumbsup:

OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vickie's retirement party was held last Thursday. Here are a couple pictures of me presenting her with the gift. Initially she was speechless. To lighten the mood I said I had an extra metal detector and she could go out w/ me anytime she wanted. Later that evening she told me the gift meant so much, as she never had a chance to go beyond high school, and to give her something that has artifacts from one of the first schools in the township plus drives home how much work she did to educate others of local history - brought closure.

Attachments

• Giving Vickie her gift.jpg
    Giving Vickie her gift.jpg
    627.8 KB · Views: 102
  • Vickie thanking me for gift.jpg
    Vickie thanking me for gift.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 94

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
That is super cool! What a great idea! Thanks for sharing.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creskol, that means alot, especially coming from you:occasion14: Hope you have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about everybody else, but a personally made gift always means more to me! You did a beautiful job!

OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
smallfoot, thanks!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great job! Saving history is a very enjoyable endeavor. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prof, thanks for the kind words. Happy 2020:occasion14:

OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just sharing an article about the display cases that appeared in the Spring 2020 newsletter "The Curator". I recommend zooming out for easier reading.

Attachments

• The Curator newsletter article.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 19

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread