advice on my best find

jnns

Tenderfoot
Oct 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all looking for advice on what to do with our find, a few years back my sons and I were lucky enough to be on vacation in Virginia close to a major battlefield. We were staying on private land and had just started the hobby and asked if we could metal detect. The owner gave us the ok but said it had been hunted out for years and sent us on our way. The first day was all trash and the second was more of the same being new we figured we had no idea what we were doing but decided to try one more target being new we did not want to go away empty handed on that last one of the day we bent down and pulled this beauty out of the ground and still fully intact! We couldn't believe it. We have kept it bubble wrapped for these past few years and my sons are older now and want it out so they can see it any ideas on care and maybe the make and who used it? thanks for the help still learning the hobby so anything would be helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_0809 (1).jpeg
    IMG_0809 (1).jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0810.jpeg
    IMG_0810.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 88
Upvote 5

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Electrolysis and a soak in hot wax is my vote

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking bayonette. This looks like one that I have. Mine was not dug, but was given to me by a friend. This one came from a barn on her Dad's property. Look on the flat part of the blade just above the socket. It may be stamped US. This should clean up well. There are some good videos too on Utube on restoration. Best of luck and great save on a piece of CW History.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread