One of my most unusual finds. Ever seen anything like this?

Highwater

Nov 3, 2007
Shasta County, CA.
Detector(s) used
White's: XLT, MXT, Tesoro: Sand Shark, Tiger Shark. Fisher: 1266X. Minelab: Musketeer.
Here is a photo of one of my most unusual finds. It measures about 4 inches long and 1 3/4 inches wide. It is obviously hand wrought. It seems to be brass or bronze. I found it about 9 - 10 inches down in fairly compact soil in the Seattle area. It has some strange lettering on the reverse that are from top to bottom interlaced, about 4 letters, or symbols. Look kind of like t or j and maybe L, but you really can't tell. There is a very deep patina. This was obviously in the ground for a very long time. It is pretty heavy, although I have never weighed it. (maybe it is proof that the Vikings were in the area a long, long time ago?) It really looks like midevil. I sent a scan of it to a nearby university history dept. They were very interested in inspecting it, but the Prof that I was supposed to meet to have a look at it had some kind of accident and it never happened. I have no idea where it came from or why it was where I found it. Just one of those strange mysteries.
In the same area this was found we located a few relics from some kind of logging jamberee that must have been held there around the turn of the century. We found a couple tokens and other related period artifacts which were not nearly as deep as the heart amulate. Can anyone give a guess as to what, where, how and when????? Ever see anything like it before?? The modern history around Seattle,only dates back to about 1850. This seems to be much older than that, but that is just my guess. I could be very wrong about that, but the patina is really thick and old looking.

Attachments

• Amulate.JPG
    Amulate.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 2,406
Upvote 0

Thomas007

Aug 29, 2007
Glouster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White MXT
With the round dimple on the blade... it looks like it might be used to hold something shut like a jewelry box lid or some other device.

Perhaps a spring loaded ball bearing is what the dimple snapped in to originally. Perhaps a clasp of some kind... maybe a scabbard something like this.

I don't believe it is for a necktie... it seems much older and hand wrought but giving the idea of how it could have been used as only.

92138.jpg

HH

Sanat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread