One of my most unusual finds. Ever seen anything like this?

Highwater

Nov 3, 2007
Shasta County, CA.
Detector(s) used
White's: XLT, MXT, Tesoro: Sand Shark, Tiger Shark. Fisher: 1266X. Minelab: Musketeer.
Here is a photo of one of my most unusual finds. It measures about 4 inches long and 1 3/4 inches wide. It is obviously hand wrought. It seems to be brass or bronze. I found it about 9 - 10 inches down in fairly compact soil in the Seattle area. It has some strange lettering on the reverse that are from top to bottom interlaced, about 4 letters, or symbols. Look kind of like t or j and maybe L, but you really can't tell. There is a very deep patina. This was obviously in the ground for a very long time. It is pretty heavy, although I have never weighed it. (maybe it is proof that the Vikings were in the area a long, long time ago?) It really looks like midevil. I sent a scan of it to a nearby university history dept. They were very interested in inspecting it, but the Prof that I was supposed to meet to have a look at it had some kind of accident and it never happened. I have no idea where it came from or why it was where I found it. Just one of those strange mysteries.
In the same area this was found we located a few relics from some kind of logging jamberee that must have been held there around the turn of the century. We found a couple tokens and other related period artifacts which were not nearly as deep as the heart amulate. Can anyone give a guess as to what, where, how and when????? Ever see anything like it before?? The modern history around Seattle,only dates back to about 1850. This seems to be much older than that, but that is just my guess. I could be very wrong about that, but the patina is really thick and old looking.

Attachments

• Amulate.JPG
    Amulate.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 2,406
Upvote 0
H

HAVE DETECTOR WILL TRAVEL

You know i't looks like something out of hollywood so i would have to say spanish missionish or something to that affect! very cool.

leakypipes

Oct 7, 2007
I think it is a tool for killing vampires! Sorry, I watch too much TV. I have never seen anything like it before. It is totally awesome. Some day I will be fortunate to find something as fabulous as this object. So far I have not even found my first silver yet. It is posts like this which keep me out there hunting in every spare moment. My first belt buckle find had me addicted, I love this hobby. Bob

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aquanut said:
It looks like it could have been made out of Bronze spikes from an old ship.
Aquanut

Yeah, definate nail looking.

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Great find :o For some reason it looks spanish 1700s to me? I have found some spikes and nails made of brass , from 1700s that look alot like the shapes of the nails used on your piece? Just a guess /it could be a handle to a small knife? goodluck

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A close-up of the letters/markings on it, please.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just realised it is supposed to represent a SWORD/DAGGER (look at the grip on the handle & the shape of the pommel at the end, also the point of the nail is the blade edge) & heart.

OP
OP
Highwater

Highwater

Nov 3, 2007
Shasta County, CA.
Detector(s) used
White's: XLT, MXT, Tesoro: Sand Shark, Tiger Shark. Fisher: 1266X. Minelab: Musketeer.
Thank you everyone for your comments. I finally hooked up my scanner and scanned the back side of this object. I have often wondered if this may have been an authenic relic that someone later came along and added the engraved initials on the back side. It is also possible that someone made this in modern times? I do know that it came from very deep in the earth and has a very rich patina. The items we found in the same area were from around the turn of the century and they were found several inches shallower than this object. They included trade tokens and a varitiy of things that appear to have been connected with some type of logging jamboree or gathering.
What it is, who made it and how did it get where it was found are questions that may never be answered but it is an interesting piece just the same. It looks to me like a sword stuck through a heart. There must be some reason why the creator of this item chose to make it in this style and fashion. It must symbolize some kind of thought or reason, but I have no clue as to what it may represent.
The attached photos are the back side of the object and a close up of the letters or symbols on the back.

Attachments

• Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 2,094
  • Back close up 3.jpg
    Back close up 3.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 2,185

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ken, watch it be worth a million bucks.... better try again to find out what it is and how old it is.. you could be sitting on something very very valuable...check with the museums down there in florida..its worth a shot.
neato find...
rae

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definately a sword through the heart & as you say the true meaning maybe lost with the maker. If you could find the source of the nails ie. ship nails - it could be a bored, broken hearted sailor.

Ask some-one who has a tattoo with a sword through the heart & get ideas as to why? Probably come up with several reasons. Some mysterys are never meant to be solved, makes for a more interesting story.

Definately an old piece 150 years +++

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Just for a better chance? try to post it in shipwrecks, the guys on there may have found something like it before... goodluck

OP
OP
Highwater

Highwater

Nov 3, 2007
Shasta County, CA.
Detector(s) used
Relic,
Thanks for the idea, I just may do that.
I have been putting some more thought into this artifact. It was found in the Seattle area. I know that the Indians did a lot of trading with other tribes and all of them around Puget Sound and out on the coast used canoes to go very long distances. The Spanish Magellon fleet would make their return from the Orient and when they made landfall along the west coast would have to refresh their supplies and make repairs before turning south to head to Mexico. I have studied some of the history of these events. I am wondering if maybe the Indians didn't come by this piece, either through a trade, a ship wreck or even a raid on the Spanish. The Spanish did have a presence out at Neah Bay for a while, until the Indians ran them out for rape, plunder and kill. It is very possible that this item was of Spanish origin and somehow got lost at the site I recovered it. There may have even been a village at that site as there is a very good spring very close by and it is the type of place that would make a good encampment.
I am starting to think more along the lines that it is an old Spanish artifact. It is all starting to add up. The trade routes of the Indians were tremendous. Items have been found hundreds of miles inland. This might just be a piece of the puzzle. Any thoughts, ideas or comments are much appreciated. Thanks again for your idea to post on the shipwreck forum.

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought was like Leakypipes...a vampire slayer, then thought it may be some kind of sacrificial knive. Whatever it is, it is a totally AWESOME find!!!! Am real curious as to what you can find out about it and it may prove to be extremely valuable so take good care of it. Try calling that museum back and see if any other professor may look at it or send the pic out to some other museums and see if you get any response on to what they think it may be. Congrats on a very unique and great find!!!!!!

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find. I really have no idea as to an age on it. Hope you find out.

Maybe it's a pin that Vampire killers wore. You know, the old stake thru the heart. lol

OP
OP
Highwater

Highwater

Nov 3, 2007
Shasta County, CA.
Detector(s) used
Hello Everyone,
I took Relicdude's advice and posted to the Shipwreck board. I have already received a couple interesting replies. You may want to lock into the thread over there and watch as this mystery may be starting to unravel it'self. Highwater

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread