When your hunting buddy goes without you....

Chitlin

Dec 7, 2007
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't go and we were invited to a different area, someone elses trash spot..... my old childhood buddy, who we've been collecting for years together, has to be one of the luckiest sob's when it comes to finding stuff... I doubt the other fella is gonna invite us back for a while.....

Sorry nothing in the pic for scale...this is smaller than a modern dime...the "host" couldn't believe my buddy found this..... 1857 1 dollar gold piece.

I'm not jealeous at all, really I'm not... :-\

Attachments

• gold.JPG
    gold.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 2,538
  • gold1.JPG
    gold1.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 2,529
Upvote 0

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh?! That's pretty sweet... I've never seen one of those before!! I thought it was another foreign gold, until I saw the United States of America around the front. Awesome find for sure! :)

Bran <><

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your not jealous then iam not aa battery ;)

OP
OP
Chitlin

Chitlin

Dec 7, 2007
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...so I found this, I'm assuming, of course, that the "C" means charlotte?

not jealous at all.... ::)..actually I'm glad I wasn't there because I would have gone left and him right...and ding ding ding......

All Surviving Charlotte Mint Coins Are Rare
The record for production was set in 1847 when 84,151 five-dollar gold pieces were coined. In 1861 only 6,879 half eagles were minted, the final year of operation. From an historic viewpoint, the gold coin totals issued by the Mint at Charlotte were quite low. Fewer still have survived from the Pre-Civil War Days till now. In fact, some dates are so rare that only a handful are certified and known to exist. As a result, these are some of the most highly sought after coins in the numismatic world today.

Sadly, most gold coins were put into circulation immediately where their gold surfaces were worn down in the pocket of miners, riding on stagecoaches or being hauled around in wagons. Today, high quality, mint condition gold pieces from The Mint at Charlotte are extremely rare and hoarded away quickly by investors. Most collectors lock away pieces in Extra Fine to Uncirculated grades, when they can find one.

The Long-Closed, Almost Forgotten Charlotte Mint
After Abraham Lincoln was elected President, North Carolina seceded from the Union in May of 1861. Interestingly enough, minting continued at the Charlotte Mint until it was halted forever in October of 1861. During the Civil War the building was turned into a Confederate headquarters and hospital. When the war was over, the Mint at Charlotte was never reopened as a United States Mint facility.

Today, numismatists agree that all Charlotte Mint surviving coins are very scarce. Many dates are extremely rare and valuable. Because of their combination of early dates from 1838 to 1861 combined with their early American history, Charlotte Mint gold coins are highly desirable as long-term investment pieces.

Collectors Love Rare, Charlotte Mint Gold
Charlotte Mint Gold coins are sought after today by coin collectors, coin investors and museums alike. Most surviving pieces are locked away in collections seldom seen by the public. On those rare occasions when we acquire a Charlotte Mint Gold piece we have a base of Southern Mint collectors who eagerly acquire them for their collections.

Vrent

Nov 30, 2004
surfside beach sc
1857-C 1450 2800 5250 14000 - those are the values for vf ef au and 60 from PCGS that is one heck of a find :o :o

worth sending for slabbing your friend struck a big one good thing you aren't the jealous type I know I would have kicked myself for not going ???

your friend is very much in tune with their machine

I knew this post would make me cringe when I saw the heading

HH Vrent

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is CERTAINLY a BANNER find! Bravo to your friend! Whenever I'm in those situations, I think that even if I had gone, I still might not have walked over it.

Regards,

Buckleboy

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
:) I'd say your friend started the new year off with a BANG! A big congrats to him... HH

Desertfox

OP
OP
Chitlin

Chitlin

Dec 7, 2007
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only reason I'm not upset about missing the trip is because I was working..... (stay at home dad ;D)... I may not be the best parent in the world but I won't ever ditch my youngun to pursue my own pleasures...Our time will come.

My buddy is not a member here, he is what I'd call cyber-geneticlly challenged..he doesn't even have e-mail....funny thing too, he has one of the cheapest Garrett machines you can get..here is another photo. The buttons were found in the same proximity. We were walking pretty much side by side, we both get hits (I have a Tesoro Sliver)... I dig modern buckshot, he digs the South Carolina button and earlier the Infantry button.....I found nada that day..the token came from somewhere else.....

Attachments

• lucky.JPG
    lucky.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 2,376

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY NICE COIN :o

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I feel for you. My buddy Baldingboy does this to me all the time, never found the gold yet but I guess that is coming.

Great post.

USTiger

Apr 30, 2006
Vancouver - WA
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice find ... just looked in the book only 13.280 made in 1857 with the C in the bottom.. Very nice.

USTiger

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!!! Goes to show you how even the lower end machines can still find the good stuff!! Amazing digs!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread