Brass/bronze shipbuilding spikes from the 1800s

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Brass/bronze shipbuilding spikes from the 1800's

Just getting around to finally posting these shipyard finds.
As you can see, the biggest ones are 8" long. They all have square heads(except for the 2 round "bolts" on the right). I found them in the tidal flat along the outer edges of the wooden scaffolding(ways) that were still partially visible in the mud. I figured they were dropped while workers were attempting to use them. The bent and broken ones were also found along the ways. I found an area off to one side that indicated the site where the spikes were being cast, as there was lots of brass and copper slag and sprues.

We can only imagine what it must have been like to live in the area of a shipyard back then. The teams of oxen delivering material, the sawing of wood and the rapping of mallets and hammers from dusk until dawn. Simply amazes me when I think about it.

Attachments

• brassnails.JPG
    brassnails.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,538
Upvote 0

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Brass/bronze shipbuilding spikes from the 1800's

great finds! must have been heavy bringing those home!

OP
OP
M

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X

mamabear said:
great finds! must have been heavy bringing those home!

Thanks mamabear!
I found these on several trips to the site. I also found lots of other scrap brass and copper in the form of bar, flat, and half round stock. I found quite a bit of lead objects and hunks of iron too. So yes, I had to lug some weight and take extra trips to the truck. Walking around the mudflats was like walking on the moon. I couldn't set my detector down either, because of the mud. But, I'd do it again in a minute, even if it took me all day. It was a lot of fun!

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other

call me crazy, but I love mud flats. the smell the cold breeze, the boots covered w/ 50 lbs. of gunk! what more could you ask for? 'cept maybe some clams or oysters!

lockman209

Jun 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

very nice

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread