Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BEST FIND & A FISHY STORY

Below is one of my best coins of last year;

Rare Silver Denarius of Galba AD68-69

I got this coin from new land & this is how;

I was minding my own business whilst fishing the river when an old man began to talk to me about fishing. When he told me he owned the local fishing lakes, my ears pricked up. 'Owns lakes', 'Owns Land' I thought. So asked him if he had any land I could detect & the rest is history. Its a lot of land & good land too ;D We have only just covered the tip of the iceburg on this one!

Last year I was detecting the land on a hot summer's day & decided to duck for cover in the trees & get a drink & rest. Whilst sitting next to a pond I heard the slurp of a Carp (I know that sound well). Rang the own when I got back & now I have an all year round private fishing venue, so this is also one of my best finds. ;D

Went out today to the pond to have a rest from detecting. Its still very cold today but I got them feeding off the top :o

So the moral to the story, never miss an opportunity!

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 2,183
  • 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 2,177
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 2,160
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 2,164
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 2,137
Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: BEST FIND & A FISHY STORY

God them pictures bring back memories :icon_sunny: took my biggest Carp ever of the top 22.12lb :thumbsup: that Galba must be worth a few bob :P

Karinus

Jan 5, 2008
Morrison Co. MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT

Boy thats an ugly fish.
I think I'd leave the pole at home and just use the shotgun.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Karinus said:
Boy thats an ugly fish.

:D :D :D I thought I might get this reaction

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

Crusader you are the man !!!! I'm speechless :P

What a great old coin !! You ROCK !!!

Keep 'em comin !! Love your posts ! :occasion14:

Derek

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
Karinus said:
Boy thats an ugly fish.

:D :D :D I thought I might get this reaction

It is very funny how in the US we hate that wretched fish, and the rest of the world can't get enough. I have canned it before but only to see if I would eat it canned. My kids ate it just fine. By the way my favorite carp fishing rig involves a bow and arrow.

Yeah and great find. Thanks for sharing.

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland

It is very funny how in the US we hate that wretched fish, and the rest of the world can't get enough. I have canned it before but only to see if I would eat it canned. My kids ate it just fine. By the way my favorite carp fishing rig involves a bow and arrow.

[/quote]

We love fishing for carp in the UK and Ireland. The best bait to use is haggis...

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DJ_Quinn said:

We love fishing for carp in the UK and Ireland. The best bait to use is haggis...

[/quote]

never tried haggis but might now ;D

jimfl

Dec 24, 2007

Nice fish they get big don't they? Crusader in one of your posts you mentioned bumping into a "pro" detectorist Is this someone who earns a living with a metal detector? Is that possible?From your posts I know you have a real job.Also from your posts I know you're one of the best.But maybe if it became a job it would not be fun.Thanks just curious about the "pro". Jimfl

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jimfl said:
Nice fish they get big don't they? Crusader in one of your posts you mentioned bumping into a "pro" detectorist Is this someone who earns a living with a metal detector? Is that possible?From your posts I know you have a real job.Also from your posts I know you're one of the best.But maybe if it became a job it would not be fun.Thanks just curious about the "pro". Jimfl

I would be the first to say that I am only just above average. I have interest in historial matters & keeping information open to future study.

Pro's sell everything & do not generally care about provenance & record keeping. It is possible in places like Norfolk to make a good living. The morning I met him he had found 2 bronze age axeheads & got £200 cash for each one ($800 for 1/2 a day's work). He finds many coins worth $1000+ He has found over 350 roman coins a day. (this total would take me 1 year). Plus loads of things you would find hard to believe.

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe

You could practically grab them out of the water.......neat.....and erm......ugly stuff...... :tard:

Cheers!

Dugholes :laughing7:

vercingetorix

Sep 30, 2005
Toulouse

CRUSADER said:
jimfl said:

I would be the first to say that I am only just above average. I have interest in historial matters & keeping information open to future study.

Pro's sell everything & do not generally care about provenance & record keeping. It is possible in places like Norfolk to make a good living. The morning I met him he had found 2 bronze age axeheads & got £200 cash for each one ($800 for 1/2 a day's work). He finds many coins worth $1000+ He has found over 350 roman coins a day. (this total would take me 1 year). Plus loads of things you would find hard to believe.

just found this ,
so what do you do of your finds after recording them ? you sell them to the museum or keep them for your personnal collection ?
thanks

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vercingetorix said:
CRUSADER said:
jimfl said:

just found this ,
so what do you do of your finds after recording them ? you sell them to the museum or keep them for your personnal collection ?
thanks

I hand in items which I have to by Law (but have so far got them all back, other than 1 extremely Rare item which I sold to the local museum so that the farmer could have his share of the money, too expensive to buy him out & it deserved to be on display) I still have a few items in the system (takes 1.5 years to get a decision).
I never sell stuff I find & only give away about 25% of the items to the farmers collections (& kids/people with special interests), the rest I keep (very safely!!)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread