$4.15 million paid for rare nickel!

A

ARCOMANDPURPLE

Don't think we will ever find one in the dirt.......but who knows?

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
DANG! I live 1/2 hr. from where that sold and I'd have paid 4.2! ::) Why didn't somone give me a heads up on this auction?! Haha...anyone have a picture of such an item?

miss_anthrope

nhbenz said:
Haha...anyone have a picture of such an item?

1913nicklo.gif
1913nicklr.gif

isn't she a beauty? (edited to show reverse)

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been looking for that McNickle.......Thanks for the Pics

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Um,

correct me if I'm wrong but,

does anyone else agree that anyone who pays 4 million + for a nickel is an idiot!?

HH

Lonewolfe

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I found one of those...Now lets see... Where did I put it?

Ady

Jul 24, 2005
lonewolfe said:
Um,

correct me if I'm wrong but,

does anyone else agree that anyone who pays 4 million + for a nickel is an idiot!?

HH

Lonewolfe
Yep I have to agree with you there. When a person spends that much money on a coin, it really does tell me that that person is one boring git! (Mindyou I wouldnt be saying this if it was me selling it!!!!)

Ady

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Back in the late 60s when I was living in Kansas, my dad was a professor at a local university. He neded to go to his office one day, and brought me along.
As we were leaving, he looked down in the dirt by the sidewalk at the bottom of the front steps, and he leaned down and picked something up.

It was a 1901 V nickel in slightly worn condition.

In the early 80s I lived in a prty house, and some assholes decided to steal it, along with a pair of 1922 Peace dollars my grandmother had given me.
>:( >:( >:(

I still wish I had that nickel just for the sentimental value, as I was there when he found it.

DiggerDude101

Apr 19, 2005
I agree with Ady.

We really need alot more of these rich idiots out there to sell our stuff to!!!!!!!!!! (Hey at $4.15 mil, now the seller guy is rich.) ::)

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
The largest determinant of price is rarity. Only 5 1913 Liberty Head nickels are known. They don't get much more rare than that.

Is it really that much different to pay over $1 million for an extremely rare coin than a similar amount for a rare painting? Or a rare car?

When an item is extremely rare and there is a demand for it the price is expected to be very high (when the item is available).

Simple economics. Supply and demand.

PS - The guy that sold that 1913 nickel paid over $3 million for it a few years ago so he made a profit of over $1 million. Just watch - I bet the new owner will make a profit when (if) he sells the coin.

PSS - I have seen one of the 5 1913 nickels (could have been the one that sold). It was a beautiful coin but really no different than any other of the series. Other than so few minted that year. (And that is another story for another thread.)

Ady

Jul 24, 2005
How is this to end this thread?
You would have to be an idiot to buy a coin for this much money.
But a genius to find one and then sell it for this much money!!!

LOL

A

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread