Old Hotel Stuck in Time...

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
A cool story...I was going to an Allman Brothers' concert about 20 years ago and met up with friends of friends to party a little before the show in a very small upstate New York town. We were at someone's house and next door was an old, rundown (small, two story) hotel. This was before I was into detecting, but I was really interested in old places like that. The most amazing thing was when I went in the hotel, it still had lots of amazing stuff in it from the early 1900s. There were still lots of canned goods stocked on the kitchen shelves, some without lables, but many with labels indicating various veggies and other things. The upstairs guest rooms still had bedframes and bathroom fixtures and mirrors on the walls. The most amazing find, the business office of the hotel still had the giant safe right there and it was open. I am sure someone either left it that way or broke in to see what was in it. Well, littered inside the safe and all over the floor were hotel invoices with dates in the 1920s for people who stayed there with various hand written notes about what this and that costs and the final bills, etc. I'm sure there were other cool things I can't remember, but that safe was really cool. I moved away many years ago and then moved back to NY. I have no idea where this was, how to find it, or even the friends I went with, so no way for me to get there again. Besides, it could be long gone by now, but that was an interesting and unique find. By the way, the Allman's are great. I've seen them about 7-8 times.

Upvote 0
T

T-Rex

we used to see Greg Allmann all the time, he hung out at a local heavy metal music bar...

98% of the people didn't know who he was since most of them had never heard them b4...

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool story, thanks for telling it!

HH

Lonewolfe

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
Very nice piece of history. You should get all the information you can about it. Good find.
xXx

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread