The dangers of our hobby.

Lizard-Prince

Jun 5, 2008
Bayamon P.R.
Detector(s) used
DFX,BH ID,5000s2,AT Max,MX Sport,Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
How would you react and what would you do? If a suddenly peaceful and magic hunt were broken with an unexpected dangerous find "a gun" you reed right "a gun". And not just any gun a heavy profesional BB pellet gun, this is my short version of that day years back. I had planned to go to my last and 3rd beach before my hunting scedual ran out for the day I had just found a reasonable amount in clad coins to cover for my bus fare and a little less than $2 in profit for some I would say 3 hours of scanning.My 5000s2 coin master was doing a great job as always,on my last try before I was to continue to the final beach.I got a loud blast from my coin master just on the rim of the side walk where the sand ends. I dug down 1 feet thinking it must be another darn refreshment aluminum can.My scoop hit something long and black (the back of the handle) I said to myself this is no drink can and on a tug with the edge of my sand scoop out came to my dismay that shocking thing.When I finally reacted I took my hanky from my pocket and wrap the handle to see it closely.Being no cops no where the only person seeing me just smiled and left quickly expecting the worst. I made a quick desition to wrap it well and cancel my trip imidiatly I was scared all the ways home. Today I still posses it as a premium piece as I newtralized it so it wouldn't be used for nothing evil.I knew if I turned it to the cops I would never get it back so this is how this story ends.

Attachments

• 100_0051.jpg
    100_0051.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 5,055
Upvote 0

WilliamTheFinder

May 9, 2008
Most of my treasure hunting was done in the off hours between shifts at my summer landscaping job a summer or two ago. The European men on the crew told lots of stories about how dangerous both landscaping and treasure hunting are in Europe, a place where live ammo, unexploded bombs, and even a few very old land mines dot the countryside.

Old_Okie

Jun 14, 2007
Looks like an old Daisy I had when I was a kid. Would shoot BB's, pellets, or darts.

Not exactly a serious weapon.

Old_Okie

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yea, you have to be very careful with guns. They have been known to prowl the house at night and attack the sleepers.

They are also very good at pretending to be asleep. You'll never see them move.

It has been proven beyond a shadow of doubt that being stupid with a firearm does not hurt folks, its the gun getting revenge.

Remember!...guns have the ability to hurt humans without any help from a stupid finger.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Nice find!

You could probably get all you want at Kmart or wallymart.

Tape a target on a cardboard box in the back yard...

Not good in the living room... bb's are too hard on vacuum cleaners!

HH
rmptr

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Oh wow thats quite a find, that must be a first on treasurenet. Who knows it could have been used in a murder. Doesn't matter if it was a BB, Pellet or Dart, an object at that force, and more then one, can do serious damage.

Casull

Jan 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Oh wow thats quite a find, that must be a first on treasurenet. Who knows it could have been used in a murder. Doesn't matter if it was a BB, Pellet or Dart, an object at that force, and more then one, can do serious damage.

You are kidding, right? I had one of those when I was a kid (looks like the Crossman model I had anyway). Spring activated, and MAYBE 250 fps. Shot at a street light bulb (not the glass cover, just the bulb), and hit it about ten consecutive times without breaking the bulb. A friend of mine (not too bright) put it to his head and pulled the trigger, and the bb just bounced off. Anway, my old wrist rocket slingshot would shoot a bb much faster and harder than the pistol would. Now, a shot in the eye would be dangerous, but anywhere else all you would hear is "ouch".

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
I have one of the old 1940 version of the same gun. shoots a .12 cal BB
got it when my Grandma died, found out it was my Dad's.
The year he got it for Christmas he and his brother got busted shooting the ornaments off the tree.
It was confiscated and never returned.
It came with target stand, targets, BBs and the works... Mint cond.
I think it's just the thing for my Grandson when he gets a couple more years under his belt.

LOL
Thom

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
remember that one too, the darts. and yeah, when /if you could actually hit the bird, it would only fly away. actually i got put on probation for shooting a kid in the face cause he broke our fort in the desert. yeah, i coulda hurt his eye, but just gave him a red cheek. i still remember the noises when it cocked. chick,qqqqiiik, qqqqqqk, chink. the kachink!!!!!! lol, too bad it wasnt a real gun, someone "dropped" :tongue3:

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
If that would have been a Powerline 1200 (CO2), then I would have worried. BTW, powerline 1200's are highly collectible, I have two in mint condition, they are worth between 50 and 75 bucks each.

FL Junkman

Feb 13, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70 and Silver U-Max
I had a similar experience about a week ago while hunting around the edge of a lake where the water had receded due to dry conditions. Got a quarter target signal and dug down approximately 6 inches and saw this black object. Dug it out and it turned out to be a Lorcin 380 handgun, a Saturday Night Special! My decision was to turn it over to the sheriff's department.

FL Junkman

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
my dear american freinds -- in porta rico --its illegal to own handguns of ANY TYPE --yes even BB guns without a special permit -- in PR they do not have the same gun laws and freedom of gun ownership that we in the "50" states enjoy -- (remember long ago when the FREE PR GUYS --attacked in washington, DC ? well the us govt "clamped down" on gun rights in PR and have never lifted those laws . in PR generally only cops and dopers and crooks and a few welll connected folks have guns -- ordinary folks --nope

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Years ago I was told the murder weapon of choice in Russia was a hatchet.
Step up to someone and cleave their skull.

Not too many were wounded, as you see in our 'drive-by' society...

A gun can be the lesser of evils.

Best,
rmptr

possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & Ace 250, White's DFX, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LMAO !!!!!!! :tongue3: :tard: :tongue3: :tard: ;D :o OMG!!!! :o
(And just so everyone knows, I'm laughing at the memory of the bb gun that I had that was similar to the Lizard-Prince's find and not at Lizard-Prince.)

I had one just like that along with all my neighbors. We use to shoot the darts at one another when we were kids. What was really scary was when someone got mad and instead of shooting you, they would chase you around and try to hit you with it. Those guns are heavy. I used to wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat dreaming of being pistol whipped with one of them. Being shot wasn't nothing.

Regardless of how STUPID my friends and I were as kids shooting each other, BB guns are not toys and some are actually very deadly and all should always be treated with the same care as any gun. A good example is a incident that happened back in Nov. of last year here in Alabama where a 6 year old boy shot his sister in the chest with a pellet gun and killed her. It can happen but there's no need to be afraid of the gun. Be afraid of the person with the gun. If you have children, teach them about guns so if they find one they'll know what to do with it and won't blow their friend or sibling away.

I know everone here is different but I don't care if it's a dang bb gun, 40 cal, or a AK, unless there has been a homicide in the area(and generally you'll hear about it if there has)I wouldn't turn it in. But that's just me. :wink: You may want to have it checked out to make sure it wasn't stolen but the way I see it is if you find it, it's yours. It's no different than finding a gold ring or silver coin someone lost. Sure those items can't be used to kill someone but have you ever thought about whether or not that ring you found was taken off of someones finger after they were killed and then the person who took it freaked out and chunked it thinking that if they were caught, it might link them to the murder or maybe some of that silver and gold was taken in a burglary of the old lady's house down the street.
Bottom line is you dug it up, it's yours and don't be afraid of guns, be afraid of crazy people with guns.

Cool find! :thumbsup: and thanks for sharing it with us.
Ed

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most awesome! I dug up a BB gun a long time ago but did not keep it.

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
A few yrs. ago I found a jammed 9mm pistol(7shells in the clip,and one jammed in the breech)on the side of the road walking home from work one day.

The only thing i was thinking...GEESH what if a kid found this before i stumbled on it..luckily it was me that found it,being an honest and responsible member of society,i decided to call the police at a gas station across the street and told them what i found,they told me to go stand in the general area of the pistol and someone would be there asap.

after a bit of questioning and giving them all my personal info(i assume to make sure it was not mine :o ) they cleared the pistol to make it safe,put it in an evidence bag,drove me home lol and then said they would contact me at a later date.

2 weeks later i got a letter in the mail thanking me for calling them when i found it,the weapon was used during the commission of a crime where the criminal fired one shot,the gun jammed,it was tossed it out of the car and also they gave me a check for $150 for helping to get a dangerous weapon off the streets

never heard a thing after that,

a bit more serious than finding a pellet gun,yet an airgun is still a weapon in the same right and may have been used in a similar situation(it does look real and could of fooled people..ya never know...it happens all the time)

Shawn

ZeroCool

May 26, 2008
Everything's Bigger in Texas!
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
ivan salis said:
my dear american freinds -- in porta rico --its illegal to own handguns of ANY TYPE --yes even BB guns without a special permit -- in PR they do not have the same gun laws and freedom of gun ownership that we in the "50" states enjoy in PR generally only cops and dopers and crooks and a few welll connected folks have guns -- ordinary folks --nope

I was wondering why this guy was making such a big deal out of a BB gun. These things are considered toys here, especially the one he found, which shoots at a very, very low velocity. I wouldn't ever consider calling the police over a BB gun and I wouldn't hesitate to let my 8 year old play with it. (He has 2 BB guns, a .22 and a .410 single shot.) Of course we live in the country and he was raised shooting guns and has been instructed in their proper use and hunts frequently. Just goes to show you how different other parts of this great world are.

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in NJ you have to have a Firearms Owners ID card and then a Pistol Purchase Permit to buy a BB pistol. By letter of law it's actually illegal to sell toy guns in NJ.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread