Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, White's Prizm III, Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

redbird

Jul 29, 2005
the "with drapery" seated dimes have the shield straight up and down, on the "no drapery" seated dimes the shield is tilted, (like the 1840 that you found) the pic of that 1861 is probably a quarter because the quarters and halves all have a tilted shield. that 1840 0 is every bit of XF, whatever you do dont clean it, or you will turn that $100 coin into a $50 coin (but i'll still buy it) LOL

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.
cant wait to get one of those

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awww, thats sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

HH
-GC

D

dugupfinds

Nice when they come out like that, doesn't matter what its worth right now if your keeping it. Finding its more important. ;D

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
That is a beautiful coin! I'm glad this post got resurrected; I just might use that as my background.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about everyone else, but where is the VF grade coming from?!! I don't see a trace of wear on that coin--and if it is there it is only a trace. If wear is present on the obverse one should only see it on liberty's knees, head, or breast if it is there at all--and I'm not seeing it. I can see details in the hair. (Don't pay any attention to the clasp on her robe--it is sometimes weak from striking and cannot be used to grade a coin). On the reverse, there is arguably a little wear on the tips of the leaves--but it is a little hard to tell from the photo. Hence I am offering a conservative Almost Uncirculated grade. I have been a collector buyer of coins since I was 12 years old, and the coin is certainly not VF, and appears to be much nicer than XF. You can still see some original mint sheen on the front of the coin. Is someone catching something here I'm missing? So it could easily be a 500 dollar coin. If uncirculated, higher. Some tips: 1. Don't clean it 2. Put it in a mylar sleeve or better yet hard plastic two piece holder for protection 3. only hold it with between two fingers so that your fingers only touch the edges--not the obverse or reverse--of the coin. If it is uncirculated, the only thing that separates an MS-60 and an MS-70 (neither of which would have any traces of wear) is the numbers of bag marks or tiny scratches on the coin. (This is where any field cleaning takes its toll on old uncirculated silver coins!) The difference in a point or two on a nice coin like this can mean several hundred dollars in price if it grades MS-60 or higher.

Regards, and Congratulations!!!

Buckleboy

Slabman

Jan 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
XLT, Quattro, X-Terra, Sovreign, Whites Goldmaster
BuckleBoy said:
(This is where any field cleaning takes its toll on old uncirculated silver coins!) The difference in a point or two on a nice coin like this can mean several hundred dollars in price if it grades MS-60 or higher.

Regards, and Congratulations!!!

Buckleboy

Here's a little tip. When your in the field, and you find a good quality coin, (actually, I do it to all coins
other than wheats) is carry an asprin bottle of tylenol bottle with the snap on lid. Fill it with water, almost
to the top. Toss it into your digging pouch, and when you get a good coin, just drop in into the bottle. Most
of the dirt will soak off while you keep hunting, and the water does not allow the coins to be damaged.

HH Slabman

j2fun4u

Sep 13, 2005
Slabman said:
Here's a little tip. When your in the field, and you find a good quality coin, (actually, I do it to all coins
other than wheats) is carry an asprin bottle of tylenol bottle with the snap on lid. Fill it with water, almost
to the top. Toss it into your digging pouch, and when you get a good coin, just drop in into the bottle. Most
of the dirt will soak off while you keep hunting, and the water does not allow the coins to be damaged.

HH Slabman

Nice tip...
Nice coin as well but looks to be cleaned which will cut the price in half...

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
that is a great dime. I'm no coin expert, but i would grade it at at least AU50. according to my 2007 blue book (which is approximately what a dealer might offer you) it is a $120 coin. in reality it worth much more than that though because this price is what a dealer might offer you. you could easily tack on another 40% on top of that! great find!

j2fun4u

Sep 13, 2005
SWR said:
Wow...this thread started almost two years ago, and the original poster hasn't been active for over a year.

Nice dime, too :)
whoops i didnt even notice that....I shouldnt of brought it back up...dang...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread