nero_design

Greenie
Mar 6, 2008
Australia
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70
original.jpg

(Location: Australia - Sydney - 2008)
Bit of a long story here but you can always skip it and just look at the pictures. For such a small prize, there was a fair bit of pain involved in claiming it.

I was exploring the entrance to a hand-dug gold mine shaft (dug from between 1853-1871) with my Detector, looking for gold nuggets when I picked up a very strong and somewhat large signal. I'd already driven a few hundred miles to get to the location and then sought directions from locals when it became obvious that my government maps were at least 10 years out of date. This was my third trip out Prospecting and I felt that I was understanding my detector at last (Minelab X-Terra 70). I then drove with my Canadian wife for a few miles into bushland on a 4x4 track in our city car. Not the only stupid thing I'd done that day. The huge rocks and steep muddy inclines over the mountains were clearly not designed to accommodate a car. Just trail bikes and 4x4s. When the road became blocked, we parked the car and used a Google map which I'd downloaded onto my iPod to make a good guess where to walk since it showed the shadows of the mountains and the valleys. Several miles on foot in 43C degree summer heat with nearly 500 flies in my face and bugspray in my eyes, my wife gave up and asked to wait on the top of a valley crest whilst I went on ahead. I left her with the camera, a knife, all the water (which i would later regret) and a book and continued on down into the valley.

The sun was setting when I found a mine shaft entrance concealed nearby on the side of a hill. It wasn't marked on the maps but a strong signal at the entrance wall in the red clay had me hacking away for almost a half hour to find the target. The clay had dried and was cement-like and I already had bandages on my fingers to protect the bulging blisters I had developed from digging earlier. I stopped after a while and rescanned the target. It was clearly worth digging being right next to a mineshaft. The maps I had brought along showed there were gold mines a mile away and I was headed toward these when I had stumbled across the shaft. How could I go home without knowing what it was? Well, I dug again until the pain stopped me. Then I slid back the bandages and sliced open the blisters on my fingers to relieve the pressure. This is normally a very stupid thing to do if you want to avoid infections. But I was somewhat delirious in the heat. The sweat kept dribbling off my nose and lips and the bugspray was constantly running into my eyes. Apart from being carcinogenic, it felt like tobasco sauce or even lemon juice in a paper cut.

I heard a thud nearby and stopped to listen. Nothing. I bend down into the entrance to the shaft and began to dig again. I heard a repeated thudding nearby, almost in rhythm to my pick axe. Now I was facing a rather spooky looking hole in the ground. There's a rumored Big Cat stalking animals here in this area. And the sun was cresting the valley and creating an extremely spooky atmosphere. I thought about the mythical Tommy Knockers - gnome like creatures who were quite real to the people that had dug this shaft.... who would signal danger with a knocking on the walls of a mine shaft. The hair went up on the back of my neck and I heard the thud-thud-thud directly behind me. I leapt to my feet and spun around, only to be facing a rather bewildered looking kangaroo which reared back in fright and then shot off downhill towards the creek. The Thud-thud-thud as it bounded away amused me and filled me with relief. I laughed, crawled back into the earth and began to dig again. I struck something harder than the soil around it and unearthed a large iron pick axe of the much older variety. Broken where the handle sat, and left behind over 140 years ago. I actually laughed out loud because I'd completely exhausted myself. I felt something crawling on my left hand and looked down to see a tiny scorpion trundle across it. I grabbed a 2-ounce specimen jar and managed to get him into it so I could photograph it later and then turned my detector back on after stuffing the rusty old pick axe head into my backpack.

I'd not even stepped out of the shaft entrance when I picked up another signal. It was as sharp as the one I'd triggered on the Pick Axe yet more positive. I switched from Prospecting to Coin & Relic Mode and it gave a much higher number, indicating jewellery or a good coin... or possibly an iron free nugget. In just a few scoops of soil with my mini-shovel, it was out of the earth and in my hand. The reddish soil had left a very slight rose tint on the surface but the coin was a Gold Sovereign dated 1884. It even had the profile of Queen Victoria on one side. The other had an image of Saint George slaying a Dragon. The cuter profile from her younger days. I was excited but carefully wrapped and pocketed the find. I went down to the base of the valley and explored the waters edge. I was so thirsty but had left my water with my wife. The cicadas were screeching in the trees and there was no way for her to hear me. I found several false targets (a slag from minters left near the water) and contemplated drinking from the creek which looked so refreshing but the scores of animal bones littering both sides of the creek made me wonder about poisons (often used by miners) and the Big Cats seen in the area. There were shafts sunk all over the place beside the creek. A beer can suggested someone else might be detecting there. The remains of a recent fire on the pebbly shore suggested a lurker. I looked around for signs of the legendary Panther before cutting my way through a wall of blackberry bushes over 5 feet high and returning up the hill to meet my wife and photograph the scorpion. It took me two hours to climb back up the steep incline to find her. I'd take ten steps uphill and then stop for a few seconds. Then take another 10 steps and stop again. Each time I'd open my arms and feel a slight breeze. I couldn't see from the sweat. I staggered uphill till I found signs of my previous route. Eventually I found my wife. She was surrounded by a species of occasionally lethal stinging inch-long ants but they were ignoring here since rain was starting to sprinkle. I wrapped our electronics in plastic bags and we continued together. It was at least another hour and a half uphill to get to our car. I tried to photograph these Jack Jumper ants but the sky was darkening and my shots were blurring due to my unsteady hands. This was the hardest trek I've ever made in my life and I honestly wondered how I made it back. I was overjoyed just to be able to see my car. I'd also been picking up quartz samples along the way and arrived a few pounds heavier. The two iron pick-axes and collection of rock in my backpack didn't help. In all, I had the equivalent of three house bricks on my back. It was dark when we got to the roads and it took us another three hours to get home. I let the scorpion go and placed the camera on the ground to get a steady shot before we left. A picture my wife took showed hundreds of flies on my backpack - probably waiting for their turn to try and land on my face. You had to breathe through your teeth to avoid inhaling them.

When I returned to the city, I placed the Sovereign into an ultrasonic cleaner and all the red earth was blasted away in a dramatic cloud of red debris, revealing some lively details for so small a coin. I had no idea what the coin was worth and had not actually handled or noticed a Sovereign before. This one had been minted in Sydney in 1884 from local gold found just a few miles from where I was digging that day. I've looked online and found the same coin (and year) selling at auctions with reserves ranging in the many hundreds and even thousands, depending on the condition. I haven't had this one appraised yet although the delicate rims are far less dented than those I've seen elsewhere and less wear to the surfaces. It's actually a lot more reflective than it appears in my photographs. I took it into the Prospecting store where I bought my detector and there was some swearing before it was explained to me that one of the Prospectors there had been trying to find a Gold Sovereign for twenty or thirty years without luck. These coins are around 22 carat if I'm not mistaken. This is my best find so far. Though not necessarily my favorite. I would never go back there without some sort of motorized device to get me back out of the valley again.

original.jpg

[size=9pt]The little half-inch scorpion which I retrieved and then released when I got to my car. Wondered if it was some sort of an omen when it crawled across my hand.[/size]

Images linked from my Photostorage to save forum webspace.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
nero_design

nero_design

Greenie
Mar 6, 2008
Australia
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70
original.jpg

Just a follow-up. These are the targets I dug and retrieved on that trip.
The small nuggets were from Prospecting a nearly hundred miles away the day before... and where my blisters were earned.

possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & Ace 250, White's DFX, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing. Great finds :thumbsup:
Ed

Kellyco

Oct 10, 2007
Winter Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
Everything in Kellyco's Showroom!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Story! It paid off at the end even through there were rough times.
Happy Hunting,
Kellyco Chick

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin! Usually if I dig that hard for a coin,it's a peice of junk or a new cent! way to go.....Kane 23

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic finds Nero!!!!! :thumbsup:
That coin is absolutely beautiful!!
How could that coin & nuggets NOT be a banner find!!?
Congrats!

Bran <><

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a Fantastic post. It's strange--the risks we take for our hobby sometimes. I've certainly had my scares with the weather, the insects, snakes, poisonous plants, and woods throughout the years.

Excellent story and Excellent finds.

-Buckleboy

Fla-Gal

Feb 14, 2008
Definitely a BANNER_____great read for all of us who so love yalls finds....thanks,thanks

Mr. Cotta

Jun 27, 2007
Southern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Wow, incredible story! Love the Sovereign and the nuggets. I can't imagine digging a target, then turning around to see a kangaroo behind me. That would be something.

OP
OP
nero_design

nero_design

Greenie
Mar 6, 2008
Australia
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70
Mr. Cotta said:
Wow, incredible story! Love the Sovereign and the nuggets. I can't imagine digging a target, then turning around to see a kangaroo behind me. That would be something.

large.jpg

Here's one which was digging in the soil a few feet away from me in Sofala. I woke up that morning and there were about 30 feeding around my cabin. This town is on the Turon river which feeds into the river alongside the hill that I dug the Gold Sovereign. If you look at his paws, you'll see the rich red soil on them. We were on a Mulloch Heap which is the large pile of soil thrown in a heap by the early Prospectors trying to reach the bedrock below. The rich soil is good for plants and grass and the kangaroos usually come out to feed when the sun has started to drop.

About an hour before I took this picture, there was a group (mob) on kangaroos jumping together in front of my car. It looked surreal with these large animals jumping up and down like pistons in front of me. On another trip, a kangaroo came bounding down a sheer drop as my wife and I were walking a trail. It was very dark in color... it's fur was almost black... and it came crashing past us down what looked like a sheer cliff. It was frightening to see a massive black creature over 10 feet long and as tall as a man suddenly appear and disappear whilst bouncing forward about 15 feet with each jump. Your brain registers what you are seeing but your mind can't help but question it. Completely different when you see them crawling slowly on the ground feeding because they look like any other critter in that position.

/Was attacked by a rogue kangaroo as a boy scout. They're not always nice. Whilst normally very docile , they can disembowel a person in an instant if moody enough and they do this to Dingos/wild dogs when attacked. They lean back on their tail whilst holding you with their paws and then kick forward into your chest with their muscular hind legs before stretching them apart. Nasty. Otherwise they're fairly cute.

I was in Canada digging dinosaurs a few years ago and walked into a Moose. He was about 10 feet away from me and was standing perfectly still. I slowly raised my camera to take a picture of this magnificent animal when my wife turned around to see why I'd stopped walking. She gasped so loud in fright that the moose spun around and took off. I was then told that they can be dangerous. Ah well. Could have been a bear.

large.jpg

Here's a sleeping kangaroo I came across a little further North. He was snoring loudly.

Mr. Cotta

Jun 27, 2007
Southern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Great story. Sounds like digging in Australia is quite different. What kind of camera are you using? I've got a Digital Rebel XTi - just curious.

toolman61

May 31, 2008
great finds maybe you ran across a cache? would definetly be worth a return trip. wonder if the caim is still staked maybe should check into that if returning for the rest of the treasure. but im a newbie what do i know. HH tom

OP
OP
nero_design

nero_design

Greenie
Mar 6, 2008
Australia
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70
I'm using a Powershot Pro 1 from Canon. It's not a DSLR but looks similar to one (much smaller).
It's getting a little old since I bought it back in 2004 when it was released. Time for a replacement soon.
I bought it because it enables me to fit a Circular Polarizer on it and it has full manual control.

medium.jpg

As for the 'claim', I don't think we use that term here any more - but a 'Lease' is taken out by people on property
which they have an interest in. Claims were made back in the 1800s. Anyone leaving their claim for more than 24 hours meant that someone else was permitted to claim it for themselves. Today you can Lease land or buy the Lease. Then you can usually pursue any digging/mining under the lease.

The area where the mine was located was on 'Crown Land' - where the land is owned by the Commonwealth (people).
If I'd continued further across the river for a few miles, I'd have to cross into National Park territory and
detecting is NOT permitted within any of our National Parks at all. There's an environmentalist living nearby who placed a lot
of signs up claiming that the area was 'private property' but I was advised by locals (who really hate this guy) and my maps (which stated that I was within Crown land) that these signs were not valid and that he was trying to stop anyone from entering the area for environmental reasons. With the trash I saw and MANY bullets I dug there, I can almost understand his phobia. Whilst I appreciate such concerns these days, both my maps and the locals indicated quite clearly that the area was accessible legally. Our state abolished Fossicking Licenses years ago and there are some special areas set aside to accommodate this activity.

If I want to dig in another state, i might need to apply for a Miner's Right or Miner's Permit from the government to dig for Gold. I have a Miner's Permit for another state just in case I decide to go there. It's just $22 for two years which is reasonable.

Cheers,

Marco

mickk

Jul 23, 2006
Some great finds there and well told.

I cant help but wonder how long ago that soverign was dropped. It looks to be after digging ceased. I wonder if it was someones good luck charm or something?

The spear heads are amazing, not a lot of these are found, I hear you can find em in creeks where they have broken off whilst being used to spear fish . You should have someone have a look at them for dating purposes.

toolman61

May 31, 2008
Yes i can see the concern by the man also but like you said it isn't his land. Man that would be so cool to hunt for gold and then find a gold coin and a few other sweet finds. One of these days i to hope to hunt for gold, good luck on your next hunt and watch out for the scorps and roos! HH tom

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking Goldie :)

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kane23 said:
Nice coin! Usually if I dig that hard for a coin,it's a peice of junk or a new cent! way to go.....Kane 23

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread