Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this a while back and posted it in todays finds. I had asked whether it would be worth slabbing and if so which grading company would be the best to go with and how I would go about and the cost etc. Any help would be appreciated. I found this 1787 Mass Copper at an old field that had given up a few other 1700's coppers and a total of 13 LC's(English and U.S.) dates ranging from 1730 to 1832. This was the best of the lot though and had been on my wish list but never expected to find one.

Attachments

• 1787Masscopper.jpg
    1787Masscopper.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 760
  • 1787Masscoprev.jpg
    1787Masscoprev.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 751
  • 1787Masscopper.jpg
    1787Masscopper.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 754
  • 1787Masscoprev.jpg
    1787Masscoprev.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 744
Upvote 0

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is an awesome find, CONGRATS!!! :thumbsup:

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find. I'd be all over that field.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd love to take my button sniffer there. :D

That's a great dug copper!

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Awesome find! Looks very unique. As for grading company goes. They would probably be glad to take your money. I do not think it is worth it sending it to the grading company. For afraid it might get lost in the mail or something. But it is up to you. It would sure be awesome to have a grade and a price and also have the coin be in one of those cool little cases.

vondrewvious

Jan 15, 2008
Maine
Forget grading it. What you need to do is wind up real hard and toss it over here to SoPo for me to find. Wicked sweet dig Ayuh!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really don't understand why anyone would send a similar coin in. I mean unless you need it authenticated, or it's a bigtime find, can't you just estimate the grade and be happy with it?

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful coin! Congrats

OP
OP
Mainedigger

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
I really don't understand why anyone would send a similar coin in. I mean unless you need it authenticated, or it's a bigtime find, can't you just estimate the grade and be happy with it?

Iron Patch....yes I could easily estimate the grade and I am absolutely thrilled with finding it. However I am far from being a pro on grading and while I do believe this copper is authentic, you never know for MANY counterfeit coins were manufactured back then, I do know alot of the English coppers were counterfeited in large amounts but am not sure if the state coppers were as well ??? From what I have found out about grading a coin..the hassle of either joining the grading company or paying a member coin company to send it in, added to the cost (which is alot more than I thought it would be) of the service of grading it and I think I may do just what you stated...estimate the grade myself and be happy with it... :wink:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mainedigger said:
Iron Patch said:

Iron Patch....yes I could easily estimate the grade and I am absolutely thrilled with finding it. However I am far from being a pro on grading and while I do believe this copper is authentic, you never know for MANY counterfeit coins were manufactured back then, I do know alot of the English coppers were counterfeited in large amounts but am not sure if the state coppers were as well ??? From what I have found out about grading a coin..the hassle of either joining the grading company or paying a member coin company to send it in, added to the cost (which is alot more than I thought it would be) of the service of grading it and I think I may do just what you stated...estimate the grade myself and be happy with it... :wink:

I don't think the State coppers were counterfeited near as much but if you had one I'm sure it would be quite collectible to those who have interest in counterfeits. That's in addition to anyone who would like a dug MA copper so you can't lose.

Mr_Mojo_Risin

Apr 29, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Real or counterfeited or whatnot- I agree with "forget grading and slabbing" as you may lose it. I'd just put it in a nice holder and in a safe place.That it a great historical coin

OP
OP
Mainedigger

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ShinyBaubles said:
Hey, MainDigger....

Weren't you just thrilled when you found that historic coin?

I found one here in Mass. a few years back, a 1788 in about the same condition as your coin.

Congrats, my friend!

Larry G. :wink:

Larry..thrilled would be an understatement... ;D A Mass copper has been on my wish list since I first started detecting and I truly thought I would never find one so I was ecstatic when I saw what this was. Now if I could only do something about the rest of the items on my wish list... :wink:

Indianhead Jones

Jul 28, 2008
Revere, Massachusetts (5 Miles North of Boston)
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum/White's Eagle II
I wouldn't part with mine...it's a piece of early Massachusetts history!

What else is on your wish list?

My list includes a gold coin and a silver dollar. I've been detecting since 1980, and have never found a silver dollar or gold coin....I'm still hoping there's one of these out there with my name on it! A man I know has found several silver dollars and 2 U.S. gold coins...and he's wishing for his first diamond ring....I've found several of them, 2 of which were over a carat in size (one flawless). Go figure!

Larry G.

OP
OP
Mainedigger

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indian Head Jones said:
I wouldn't part with mine...it's a piece of early Massachusetts history!

What else is on your wish list?

My list includes a gold coin and a silver dollar. I've been detecting since 1980, and have never found a silver dollar or gold coin....I'm still hoping there's one of these out there with my name on it! A man I know has found several silver dollars and 2 U.S. gold coins...and he's wishing for his first diamond ring....I've found several of them, 2 of which were over a carat in size (one flawless). Go figure!

Larry G.

Larry...like everyone else I have the elusive gold coin there....as well as a silver bust coin, a Mass. silver colonial, a Fugio cent and a whole lot of other coins as well.
I;ve been fourtunate enough to find a few things that have been on my wish list...the above Mass. Copper, as well as a Seated Half, a silver spanish reale, and a Union Civil War "US" belt buckle...all of which I never expected to find ever, but that is what is so exciting about detecting, you just never know what the next signal is gonna be...Gotta LOVE this hobby.. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread