SW Colorado Ghost Town $5.00 Gold Piece

Wayne1947

Jul 17, 2008
Kalamazoo, MI
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Back in 1987, I was exploring a burned out ghost town on Red Mountain, just south of Ouray, Colorado. There was all kinds of debris scattered across the old town site, shoes, boots, nails, broken bottles, old safes.... I had just remarked to my wife...."Wouldn't it be neat to find an Indian Head penny".... When I looked down, there next to my boot was a coin on edge, half buried in the mud. I reached down picked it up and saw that it was a $5.00 gold piece... 1895-S. WOW, what a feeling! If I live to be a hundred, I'll probably never do that again.

Later, I found a photo of the town before it burned, and there standing on the exact spot where I found the coin, was an outhouse.

Attachments

• DSCF1318.JPG
    DSCF1318.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 4,818
  • DSCF1319.jpg
    DSCF1319.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 4,861
Upvote 0

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's just *amazing*
The thing looks brand new!!!
Congrats & Welcome to TreasureNet!!!!!

Bran <><

toolman61

May 31, 2008
I wonder if you could find out who owns the land and possibly get permission to hunt it. I'll bet you would find a lot of really good relics as well as coins. Great post and coin. HH tom

toolman61

May 31, 2008
P.S. Bet you got all the mders around there heading for the Ghost Town Hope they have luck like you did

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thats amazing!!! :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was an expensive dump

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is one neat story, I can only hope to find something half as good. congrats to you big time :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Thats awesome! That must of sucked for the person who lost that! They must of been really upset! Anyways very nice condition for the coin! :thumbsup:

spisswgt

Jun 24, 2008
Blue Springs Missouri
Detector(s) used
Ace Garrett 250
Radio Shack Discovery 2000
i kind of doubt i will ever find anything better than a pull-tab..... that and nails are all i've ever found.

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
:thumbsup: A "BIG" Welcome to TNET Wayne! What a first post! Takes most of us years to find a gold coin if ever. Congrats..... Happy Hunting

Desertfox

spisswgt

Jun 24, 2008
Blue Springs Missouri
Detector(s) used
Ace Garrett 250
Radio Shack Discovery 2000
has anyone ever metal detected inside a museum? bring a hammer cuz for some odd reason theres a lot of cool stuff encased in glass!!! :icon_jokercolor:

Native1858

Oct 12, 2008
Colorado Springs
Might be surprised what a person can find in an outhouse, many an old-timer hid, and secured, items safely under that top shelf (seat) because they knew nobody would want to look there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread