Was It A Cartier???

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other night, I was visiting a friend of mine that is a Minelab Dealer. While sitting around, he got a call on his work line.

It was a guy who wanted to know if he either rented metal detectors or would he come to a beach and detect for a lost watch. He said that for $50 per hour he would come out and try to find it. The guy agreed, and my buddy grabbed his Excal II. On the way out, he asked me if I wanted to go. He would split whatever he got. I quickly agreed, and grabbed one of my detectors out of my truck.

We met the couple at the entrance to the beach, and got the whole story. He had mortgaged himself to the hilt to buy this watch for his wife about ten years ago, when she came in 3rd in a marathon. They had come to this beach with their kids that day, and had moved three times (a pretty good distance apart). In all, about a quarter of a mile of beach to search. For whatever reason, they still wouldn't say what kind of watch it was (other than it was heavy).

My buddy started doing his normal methodical "bottom of the wet-to the top of the dry" search pattern, while I followed more of a straight line to all the points they moved to and from that day. First signal was loud and hard.....bobby pins. About five minutes later, my next signal was higher pitched and loud as anything.............foil gum wrapper. I was still between Point 1 and Point 2, when my detector sounded off again. I reached down into the sand, and came up with a watch. It was a $4000 Stainless and Gold Cartier Tank.

The wife was all the way down at Point 3, and hubby was still at Point 1. I waved the watch in the air and yelled "Was it a Cartier?" He came running down the beach to where I was. He thought I was joking, until he saw the watch. We all tried yelling at his wife, but was too far away to hear. She couldn't see us all waving at her either. Her hubby called her on the cell, and she didn't believe him. It took a few minutes to convince her we had found it. She came down and was in tears. It was the most expensive thing she owned. Her husband told us he was so happy, because he never could have afforded to buy her a replacement.

It was at this point that I realized I didn't bring a camera. Oh well. My second most expensive watch ever found, and no camera.

All in all, not expecting to do much of anything, it was a great evening.

Best-Mike

Upvote 0

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that would be a thrill to scoop up a watch like that, even if you didn't get to keep it. You've got some good karma coming your way for sure. WTG :thumbsup:

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
So I am guessing that you found it way under an hour. At 50.00 an hour and having to split it, you got 25.00 to find a 4,000 watch. The couple had to be elated! Great job,

I do not get why people are so ignorant as to bring their expensive jewelry to the beach. I guess it is good for some of us that they do.

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, he gave us a bit more tan that :wink:

The wife thought the same as you. That's why she took off her watch and put it in a zippered compartment in her backpack. It just wasn't zipped up all the way, and fell out while she was changing spots.

Best-Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread