?? SECOND KNOWN ??

SPORTSTER

Nov 26, 2007
I FOUND THIS RUMBLER BELL AND SEVERAL OTHER OLD RELICS ON A WELL USED RIVER FORD ( CROSSING). IT'S THE SIZE OF A GOLF BALL. IN EXCELLENT CONDITION. IT HAS INITIALS OF ( K W )
I DID SOME RESEARCH ON IT AND THE ONLY INFO I FOUND WAS A QUOTE FROM IVOR NOEL HUME IN HIS BOOK,( A GUIDE TO ARTIFACTS OF COLONIAL AMERICA ). THERE IS A SAMPLE OF THIS IN THE SALSIBURY MUSEUUM. SEVENTENTH CENTURY.
I E-MAILED TO THE MUSEUUM AND SURPRISINGLY THEY WROTE BACK AND SAID YES THEY DID HAVE ONE FOUND AT FIVE FORKS VIRGINA THEY ONLY KNOW OF ONE. THEY THINK IT MAY BE A ANCESTER OF ROBERT WILSHIRE. I OFFERED TO SEND A PICTURE AND THEY NEVER RESPONDED AGAIN. OH WELL

I THOUGHT EVERYONE MIGHT WANT TO SEE IT, HOPE U ALL ENJOY. ANY INFO IS APPRECIATED.

THANKS FOR LOOKING.......SPORTSTER.....

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,296
  • RUMBLER BELL 001.JPG
    RUMBLER BELL 001.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,285
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Beautiful bell, never found one with maker/foundry mark on it. This link here if you have not seen it before might help you some. It is similar to British made ones and perhaps you can contact someone associated with this web page to help with more information on your bell.

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/pages/crotal-bells.html#Anchor-Decoratio-18609

Don

Don, I say they're quite an uncommon find in North America probably because the marked ones I think tend to be older then most of what we dig. That being said, we have hunted some old sites, and dug lots of bells, but i don't recall our group digging too many marked ones, if any. I know I haven't.

Here is a nice one a friend dug, he's about 2 hours from me and his sites tend to date a little earlier than mine.

Attachments

• bell.jpg
    bell.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,263

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Iron Patch said:
Don in SJ said:
Beautiful bell, never found one with maker/foundry mark on it. This link here if you have not seen it before might help you some. It is similar to British made ones and perhaps you can contact someone associated with this web page to help with more information on your bell.

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/pages/crotal-bells.html#Anchor-Decoratio-18609

Don

i have that exact same bell sitting right next to me! in england :icon_scratch:

i have posted it before!
not sure how to get it back though!

there must have been some well travelled cows in them days ;D

Don, I say they're quite an uncommon find in North America probably because the marked ones I think tend to be older then most of what we dig. That being said, we have hunted some old sites, and dug lots of bells, but i don't recall our group digging too many marked ones, if any. I know I haven't.

Here is a nice one a friend dug, he's about 2 hours from me and his sites tend to date a little earlier than mine.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
yhttp://www.ukdfd.co.uk/pages/crotal-bells.htmlour bell is on here but unfortunately it is a foundary that is not well known

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread