Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandpa would give me coins for my birthday and Christmas. He was born in 1929 and was always telling me stories that got me interested in pieces of history. Below are some of the gifts he gave me that I wouldn't sell or trade for anything. If anyone reads this please share how you started collecting and maybe items that started your collection.

Attachments

• image-663595087.jpg
    image-663595087.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 185
  • image-356062840.jpg
    image-356062840.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stamps and coins. Since then I have changed to collecting dirt finds.

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Grandpa got you off to a very nice start. Keep it going.

My dad got me interested in coin collecting. The first coin I recall was a 1886-O Morgan silver dollar. After that, there were several European coins (British, French, German, Swiss, etc., some dating back to as early as the 1860's) that came from my Dad's and Grandfather's overseas service days.

They now set in my collection among the many, many others collected over the years. One day, they'll be my kids or grandkids, as I will never sell any of them, ever.

TCK

OP
OP
Hunter612

Hunter612

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grandpa got you off to a very nice start. Keep it going.

My dad got me interested in coin collecting. The first coin I recall was a 1886-O Morgan silver dollar. After that, there were several European coins (British, French, German, Swiss, etc., some dating back to as early as the 1860's) that came from my Dad's and Grandfather's overseas service days.

They now set in my collection among the many, many others collected over the years. One day, they'll be my kids or grandkids, as I will never sell any of them, ever.

TCK

I am very thankful for having spent the 13 years I did with him. He would take me to flea markets and yard sales all the time. I look at his personal collection a lot and he has walking liberty halves that he paid $4 a piece for and 1964 Kennedy's that he paid $1.50 a piece for. He started collecting in the 60's and I can't believe the price difference between then and now. My mom says collecting is a sickness and that I caught it from him. I just wish I could have had a few more years with him, but it was just his time to go. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about him. I keep all of the coins he gave me in a seperate place from my own collection because if I ever have financial problems and need to sell I would sell my own and never think about selling the ones he have me. Thanks for sharing your story.

lucky larry

Apr 16, 2013
Sounds like you and your grandfather had special relationship. I'm sure he enjoyed each minute spent with you.

OP
OP
Hunter612

Hunter612

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you and your grandfather had special relationship. I'm sure he enjoyed each minute spent with you.

We did. He was my best friend. He was always telling me stories about when he was a kid in the 30's. He told me stories about world war 2 and what every day life was like, and it made me appreciate everything I have. His family had hardships that I couldn't imagine. His father died when he was 7 and his mom raised him and his 4 siblings by herself while working a job. Then after he was grown and married he lost two children to illness. I can't even imagine the sadness he felt when he lost two children.

lucky larry

Apr 16, 2013
We did. He was my best friend. He was always telling me stories about when he was a kid in the 30's. He told me stories about world war 2 and what every day life was like, and it made me appreciate everything I have. His family had hardships that I couldn't imagine. His father died when he was 7 and his mom raised him and his 4 siblings by herself while working a job. Then after he was grown and married he lost two children to illness. I can't even imagine the sadness he felt when he lost two children.
For me the best thing about mding is the feeling I get when I hold an object last touched by someone years before. It would be neat if you could unearth something last touched by your grandfather that, for the moment at least, make you feel close to him.

OP
OP
Hunter612

Hunter612

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me the best thing about mding is the feeling I get when I hold an object last touched by someone years before. It would be neat if you could unearth something last touched by your grandfather that, for the moment at least, make you feel close to him.

The only thing I have found at his house so far is a set of car keys that he lost a few years ago. I want to find where he lived when he was a kid and ask the current owners if I can detect there. He told me he lost most of his childhood toys in the woods surrounding their house. I have figured out which road they lived on and now I just have to figure out what plot of land it was. Thanks for sharing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions