Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey Nova,
You may or may not know this, but Kenwood makes a radio that will fit into the stock radio compartment. It also has hook ups for cd changer that you can mount in the rear trunk. Or at least when I sold car audio they used to. Here's a link for a factory radio:

http://www.originalcarradios.com/Chevrolet.htm

here's another link for radio's that will fit your " double posts " Don't be afraid of the jcwhitney.. he's old but good...

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...owse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=radio

Enjoy
PLL

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks PLL,I did know it and have looked at a few of them,but i really appreiciate you sending me the info on it and will save the links for later thought.
I won't cut the dash up so,that is a great option. I have some polk brand 12" speakers and a alpine amp for the trunk.So if i use them i will have to consider what radio can handle the load.

Thanks again,Nova Treasure

pegleglooker said:
hey Nova,
You may or may not know this, but Kenwood makes a radio that will fit into the stock radio compartment. It also has hook ups for cd changer that you can mount in the rear trunk. Or at least when I sold car audio they used to. Here's a link for a factory radio:

http://www.originalcarradios.com/Chevrolet.htm

here's another link for radio's that will fit your " double posts " Don't be afraid of the jcwhitney.. he's old but good...

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...owse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=radio

Enjoy
PLL

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
mcgearhead said:
Just gotta ask, did you have the original shock towers chromed, or is there a place that sells them ?
Also the trim and all the control knobs and such on the dash look to be in really great shape. Are these the original pieces ?

I actually bought the chrome shock towers off ebay a couple of years ago.Some of the trim is originally from this car,but some is from other donor cars that i have parted out over the years. Luckily, i have kept enough pieces to just about finish this project.I am still going through my parts to determine if the quality will be adequate.

My hardest task thus far for needed items on the original side of this project has been the chrome convertible top latches that are pretty rare to find in good shape,the rear seat made for the convertible which took me 4 yrs to find for my 62 that i built and cost outrageous and than the bucket seats which are now getting more rare and cost going through the roof.
The nice thing about this as just recently, i have found all 3 of these needed items and was able to trade some extra parts that i had for the rear seat and latches from another car builder and found a set of bucket seats that had been stored for 20yrs and are in great condition and he was easy on me with the price as he just wanted me to put them to good use :thumbsup:.

Nova Treasure

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
packerbacker said:
Dang Nova, I can already see this is going to become a hot topic. Nice job so far. And the powerplant will be???

Thanks,
The powerplant idea had been kicked around for awhile because of the gas prices. I never was much on the 6 cylinder motor that came out in these stock even though that would have been the best for fuel cost. I than thought about using a rebuilt 350 engine that i had sitting around on a engine stand.Well this probably at the time would have been the most affordable way being that i already own the engine. but really didn't know if this is what i wanted,alot of people has this kinda setup in there nova convertible either stock 6 cyl,or stock V8 and i like being different.
So i ended up selling the 350 engine,and a 1978 olds cutlass that i had for awhile and went and bought a 383 stroker short block.I also am using Vortec heads and adding a few other aftermarket parts which should give me about 400 horse power. So much for gas mileage, but I think i am going to be alot happier . ;D

Nova Treasure

K

Kentucky Kache

Gonna be a hot ride. I don't think you could have made a better choice on the color.

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cache Crazy said:
Gonna be a hot ride. I don't think you could have made a better choice on the color.

Thanks Cache,
Sometimes picking colors can get interesting.

Nova Treasure

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I think the stroker is a good choice.

Mileage is not really a factor for a purpose built vehicle.

Unless you were building it for a daily driver on a 100 mile commute!

;D
rmptr

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
rmptr said:
I think the stroker is a good choice.

Mileage is not really a factor for a purpose built vehicle.

Unless you were building it for a daily driver on a 100 mile commute!

;D
rmptr

Very True rmptr and you will see that i agree with you,once you see the finished pic of the engine :thumbsup:.

Nova Treasure

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is a pic of the rearend I built for this project.I had a pic of this rearend in stock form coming from the salvage yard, but it seems to be erased from my camera?
Anyway the details goes like this and yes,this is different from normal. I wanted to have 4 wheel disc brakes,better axles and positraction.So I got to checking around and decided to use a rearend out of a 98 Ford Explorer. This rearend came out stock with the bigger axles,disc brakes,positive traction and 3:73 gears.So this is exactly what I was wanting so now I had to make the width fit. So knowing that the stock rearend is offset with the passenger side axle shorter than the other. I decided to find another passenger side axle and cut the drivers side housing down 3 inches to fit this axle,this actually gives me a extra 1 1/2 in on both sides from original nova width for a better wheel selection and more tire for traction. I also had all the stock brackets removed and i measured my spring perches and had them welded back to the measurement of my Nova. I than redrilled the Ford axles to a Chevy bolt pattern,so i could use my Chevy wheels as a set.

Nova Treasure

For those that have built some old cars and wondering how I am going to make the Chevy driveshaft work on the Ford yolk,well I checked on that too and they make an adapter u joint with Ford and Chevy bearing cups on the end,So it should be good.

Attachments

• 100_0112.jpg
    100_0112.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,557
  • 100_0113.jpg
    100_0113.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,544

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Am watching this grow nova, doing a great job.
Lots of thought behind this and pre-positioning of parts.

Gets my heart pumping!

:thumbsup:

Grey

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Thanks for providing all the great info! :thumbsup:

...You decided not to expand the wheel tubs for bigger tires?

just curious.

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
rmptr said:
Thanks for providing all the great info! :thumbsup:

...You decided not to expand the wheel tubs for bigger tires?

just curious.

Thanks,Well that's a good question.
I installed the rearend and put on these wheels/tires so i could see what clearence that i had at this stage and also to check the pivot angle of my driveshaft.It will work find the way i have it but to even add more options to wheels/tires. I will probably mini tub the back by cutting down the inner wheel wells and adding wider metal to it,than i may have to relocate my spring perches or buy a kit that will adjust for the modification. I will probably wait on this for awhile because I want to get this more complete,so when I measure clearance again it will be with the true weight of the car.

Nova Treasure

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
greydigger said:
Am watching this grow nova, doing a great job.
Lots of thought behind this and pre-positioning of parts.

Gets my heart pumping!

:thumbsup:

Grey

Thanks Gary,
sometimes I take the long way around just to be different,but in the end I will have either built something to be proud of or learn valueable lessons from bad mistakes. It's just a hobby to me,like making a puzzle one piece at a time.

Thanks again,
Nova Treasure

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
:thumbsup: Roger that...

Be sure to calculate for a fine fox in front, and three more in back...

(I just HATE it when the tires rub when fortune comes my way!)

;D
rmptr

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sniffer said:
are you going electronic, or stock electric systems?

Sniffer

Electronics as in digital dash components,No electronics as spark control,I am using a Msd 6al igntion system with a Msd blaster2 coil . Why, some might ask,I am using such a hot ignition system? Well those pics will come later.
Nova Treasure

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread