fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My old Fossil hunting spot at the 'coal mines', got me thinking about how in a few more years the 'younger
generation' won't even know what happened here, so I began thinking how I could maybe have some kind of 'Memorial to (The Miners), built with community help.
There were men & mules buried alive in an explosion & cave-in, (never recovered) my Mother remembers how they rang the school bell to alert the community, & little kids crying about their fathers being lost, recent mining uncovered a wheel from an 'ore cart', & I have found spikes from the tracks where the coal was brought to the surface, along with cans & bottles from where the miner's lived.
All that is left in this area are concrete structures, & tall 'tipples' where the coal was loaded on boxcars.
There was a Hotel, ran by a Scottish woman called 'Aunt Jenny', said to be the best cook around. :wink:
I remember several 'Old Miner's some with one leg, & there were several Immigrants from Italy, one who would get drunk, & his wife would lock him in the celler until he sobered up. :P
They had 'Grape seed' sent to the U.S., & a friend of mine still has a vine growing, (they grew the vine in an old shoe) custom I guess.
Surrounding communities have very nice Memorials for their Miners, so I need to 'Get Busy'.
I know a lady who has a newspaper clipping that names the men who were lost, I will get copies & also take some to the local 'Historical Society'.
One elderly lady I interviewed, said her Grand-father was killed by 'Bushwhackers' during the Civil War, while digging in a local (pigeon hole) mine, so the mining goes way back in History.

Fossis..................

Attachments

• coal mining 001.JPG
    coal mining 001.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 234
  • coal mining 004.JPG
    coal mining 004.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 221
  • coal mining 005.JPG
    coal mining 005.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 218
  • coal mining 006.JPG
    coal mining 006.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 217
  • coal mining 003.JPG
    coal mining 003.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 218
  • coal mining 008.JPG
    coal mining 008.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 229
  • coal mining 009.JPG
    coal mining 009.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 230
  • coal mining 012.JPG
    coal mining 012.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 215
  • coal mining 013.JPG
    coal mining 013.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 207
  • coal mining 014.JPG
    coal mining 014.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 183
OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digginman said:
Coal mining is a big part of my family's past in West Virginia. Thanks for posting these, Fossis, I really enjoy them.

DM

Glad to share

Fossis.............

Okie Hillbillies

Mar 4, 2007
Hey Fossis, Where is this place located? Sure wish we had been along with you to see all this. Maybe when you go back there we can go along , too.

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wildrider said:
They've never gotten the respect they deserve.

That is for sure, dangerous, dirty, & lots died from 'Black lung' in later years.

Fossis...............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okie Hillbillies said:
Hey Fossis, Where is this place located? Sure wish we had been along with you to see all this. Maybe when you go back there we can go along , too.

We'll have to do that soon the Memorial is in Greenwood AR.

Fossis..............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread