Towboat stuff

capt1989

Jan 16, 2009
Arkansas, by way of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Teknetics Gamma 6000, DetectorPro PiratePro, Fisher F-75 LTD2, Berkut-5 (a russian detector) and a good ole original Garrett Propointer that is still going strong.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some of you may remember the I-40 bridge collapse in the Arkansas river in Oklahoma years ago. This is a picture of that bridge. I steered the last boat to go under that bridge before the M/V Robert Love hit it later that morning. I met that boat in Kerr lake at about 2310 about 20 miles from, and a few hours before, the accident. That was a pretty bad day and I was keenly aware of every bridge I made ( went under ) after that for some time. :(

2nd picture is of the dam part of lock and dam 14 on the Ark. river. They were flowing about 34,000 cubic feet of water per second. Sounds like a lot, but comparatively speaking, is not that much.

3rd one is the boat that is my avatar. It is the M/V Arrowhead. The name should please some of the members of this wonderful website. It was a great handling boat. Passed it today and thought I get a picture. Something about those older boats; they have a little more character than these newer models. :)

Hope ya'll like them.

john

Attachments

• new 006.JPG
    new 006.JPG
    217.8 KB · Views: 334
  • new 007.JPG
    new 007.JPG
    194.8 KB · Views: 340
  • new 011.JPG
    new 011.JPG
    329.9 KB · Views: 355

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Son fishes around that bridge, I remember well the day it fell.
I had the pleasure, (I think) of helping pour some of the concrete in that dam.
Nice pic's.

Fossis..............

Luck Be a Lady

Dec 21, 2007
Arizona & Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 & ACE 250
Great story and photos Captain! Thanks for sharing them with us. I can't imagine what it's like trying to maneuver one of those big boats down a river, I can't even row a boat in a straight line on a calm lake! LOL

Kathy

S

seger98

It's always easier to blame the other guy :dontknow: LOL Just kidding :tongue3:

Some super nice photo's

Chris

OP
OP
capt1989

capt1989

Jan 16, 2009
Arkansas, by way of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Teknetics Gamma 6000, DetectorPro PiratePro, Fisher F-75 LTD2, Berkut-5 (a russian detector) and a good ole original Garrett Propointer that is still going strong.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad you guys and gals like them. Kathy, 20 years of practice, and I am still learning... Fossis, you did a good job man, it is still there. :thumbsup: Will post a few in sequence through the bridges in Little Rock in a couple of days. That I- 530 bridge is a real pain in the ---.

john

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
nice pics capt., I like the ' arrowhead ', good name for her. I cant believe how many ac units that rig has, must have battery power to spare.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Burdie and I went over that on the way to the Florida hunt.
Nice boat, looks like it could push a couple of tons LOL

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I won't forget that bridge. I was scheduled to go over it that day but we had a change of plans. Not that I would of been involved but it gives you a weird feeling.
Burdie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread