Wheelhouse at Night, take 2

capt1989

Jan 16, 2009
Arkansas, by way of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Teknetics Gamma 6000, DetectorPro PiratePro, Fisher F-75 LTD2, Berkut-5 (a russian detector) and a good ole original Garrett Propointer that is still going strong.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 213

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Wheelhouse at Night

Pic didn't come through John. :icon_scratch:

fossis.............

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Wheelhouse at Night

i fear the capt. went down with the photo :-\

OP
OP
capt1989

capt1989

Jan 16, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Teknetics Gamma 6000, DetectorPro PiratePro, Fisher F-75 LTD2, Berkut-5 (a russian detector) and a good ole original Garrett Propointer that is still going strong.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry guys, I am back on the lower Mississippi and the internet service can be spotty at best sometimes. Must have cut out before uploading. I believe it is there now.

john

i fear the capt. went down with the photo

Better than the ship ;D lol

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That must be pretty 'hairaising' driving at night.

Fossis..............

jerrync

Aug 26, 2006
archdale N.C.
thanks capt. pic reminds me of years ago sitting by the river on Hot lousiana nights with a Hot cajun lady and a cold 6 pack of beer. doing nothing at all ;D but watchin the barges go by. jerry

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
cool pic capt., cant believe how long that rig is, the spotlight looks like it's on another ship in front of yours. They ought to equip you with a night vision system for dark. that could get a little sketchy I would think.

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
Captain, thanks for the awesome photos you have shown us.
I remember my first time seeing a 1000 ft. self unloader Great Lakes carrier upbound on the St. Marys River upbound below the Soo Locks.
I was making a turn, saw the 6 story wheel house..........OMG.........it was awesome/shocking/impressive for sure.
When ever I get through St. Louis Missouri, im just in awe of the tugs on the Mississippi River.
Someday...........I desperately want to get south and watch the tugs and barges on the mighty river.
More pics would be great when you have time in your busy schedule.
Thanks,
Mike

OP
OP
capt1989

capt1989

Jan 16, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You guys have no Idea how much I appreciate the comments, even when I manage to mess it up ;D

Fossis,
It can get hair raising sometimes, Particularly when the rain shuts out the RADAR, which leaves you steering by sight only. This may seem natural to the "land lubber" but you learn to trust your instruments. Your eyes will lie to you, the instrumentation is completely objective (not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts) and therefore trustworthy. Fog is also a pain but again, the radar and other instruments make it possible to maneuver under foggy conditions if necessary.

Jerry,
Was that on the Intercoastal waterway or the Mississippi? Sounds like good times regardless!!

Mike,
I have some pictures of some of those big ships somewhere. I spent 12 years between Baton Rouge and New Orleans working in the fleets that service them. I'll see if I can find some and post a few. The biggest one we ever loaded took 96,000 tons of assorted grain products. Watching those NOBRA pilots bring those ships into the berths and direct the tugs when and where to push to get situated and drop the anchors was always pretty neat.

Thanks again.

john

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
hello, Capt. Interesting pic and kinda spooky trying to see what's going on. Thanks for sharing some of your world.
I, too look foreward to any pics you can post on here.

Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread