Great Blue Heron in my yard

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For many years we have been fortunate to watch a Great Blue Heron in our pond, stalk for his food and he usually hangs out here for several months each year. This year we were surprised to see him by the first week of February.

The trees have grown up a lot around our pond over the years and it is no longer easy for him to land or takeoff without crashing through tree branches, so this year we have noticed he comes down our street and then glides under the trees next to the house and then lands and walks a few yards to the water. Smart bird..........

Don

Photo taken with Canon A590IS, I believe 4x Optical Zoom, bird was approx. 90 feet away.

Attachments

• BlueHeron.jpg
    BlueHeron.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 270
S

seger98

That's a nice photo Don, thanks for posting it, the wife & I see alot in the summertime up in WI. they seem so awkward when they take off!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's "Big Bird" ;D :D Those herons are fun to watch, they're awesome. Great pic, thanks for sharing.

:wink: RR

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Beautiful pictures as always...you and that camera get along very well indeed! Glad you got shots of the smart guy....when do we get video of these landings? ;D

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Don…

I assume that this is same bird you mentioned in my post last summer?…

Remember?…The post where I spent half a day paddling about 8 miles around a lake to get a few measley pics of one?….:BangHead:

Remember?… :violent1: ..Sheesh…Hope you didn’t tire yourself out opening up the back door to take the picture…. :tongue3:

Sorry...I lost it there for a minute.... :tard: ;D ;D

Thanks for the great pic.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cynangyl said:
Beautiful pictures as always...you and that camera get along very well indeed! Glad you got shots of the smart guy....when do we get video of these landings? ;D

Actually I used my wife's new camera, my camera has 12x optical zoon, would have been able to see his eyeball color if I had used my camera. :D

I will get a video of the landing when "approach control" alerts me to a incoming landing. Gee, it would take pure luck to have the camera ready when he decides to do his decent down our deadend street. :)

capt1989

Jan 16, 2009
Arkansas, by way of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Teknetics Gamma 6000, DetectorPro PiratePro, Fisher F-75 LTD2, Berkut-5 (a russian detector) and a good ole original Garrett Propointer that is still going strong.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I get to see many of these and other water fowl on the smaller rivers that I travel on. As you have said, they are neat to watch. Great picture.

john

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great shot. I'll get one at my pond every so often but have yet to get a decent picture.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Often share some huntsites with those guys down in the river. If you move slowly and deliberately, they will sometimes ignore you until you get right up near them.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
That is such a majestic bird! I have noticed more and more of these in the more densely populated "burbs" in recent years.

Beautiful shot, too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread