eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 'Ancient Trails' Along The River

fossis said:
Muddy Feet said:
Excellent pictures. Looks like an awesome place for a walk. When you say huge thorns you're not kidding, what kind of tree/bush is that?

They are the 'biggest' i've seen, got one (smaller) in my leg as a child, it hurt all night.
I'll get back to you on what it's called.

Fossis................

Got out my trusty ' Forest trees of Oklahoma book', it is apparently a (Honey Locust), the 'bean pods' grow up to 6-16", they have the beanlike seeds in an 'edible pulp', eaten by cattle & wildlife, & could be eaten by humans in an 'emergency', gotta try some this fall. :thumbsup:

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

fossis said:
fossis said:
Muddy Feet said:
Excellent pictures. Looks like an awesome place for a walk. When you say huge thorns you're not kidding, what kind of tree/bush is that?

They are the 'biggest' i've seen, got one (smaller) in my leg as a child, it hurt all night.

Fossis................

Got out my trusty ' Forest trees of Oklahoma book', it is apparently a (Honey Locust), the 'bean pods' grow up to 6-16", they have the beanlike seeds in an 'edible pulp', eaten by cattle & wildlife, & could be eaten by humans in an 'emergency', gotta try some this fall. :thumbsup:

W :o w! Those aren't thorns-those are impalers! You could sew some heavy leather with those. :wink:

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

stoney56 said:
fossis said:
fossis said:
Muddy Feet said:

Fossis................

W :o w! Those aren't thorns-those are impalers! You could sew some heavy leather with those. :wink:

And I'me sure our local tribes did 'just that'. :thumbsup:

Fossis...............

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

fossis said:
stoney56 said:
fossis said:
fossis said:
Muddy Feet said:

Fossis................

And I'me sure our local tribes did 'just that'. :thumbsup:

Fossis...............

Uhuh..nature's glover's needle.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great shots, Fossis. It's snowing again here so nice to see it's normal somewhere in the world. Y'alls right, those are 'honey locusts'. They're the worst thing in the world to have to clear out. Those thorns fall off all around the tree too and can go right through your boot sole, your foot, and out the top of the boot. I couldn't believe it, but we actually saw one in a park over by Green River, Utah, last summer.

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Nice pics bud! Man you always find the neatest stuff.

Love the hog skull, and the thorns too, those are cool. Huge ones, biggest I've seen.

Be careful with those snakes! Yikes.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That's an awesome tree............ one that could kill ya ::) Nice story and pics Fossis :thumbsup:

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RGINN said:
Great shots, Fossis. It's snowing again here so nice to see it's normal somewhere in the world. Y'alls right, those are 'honey locusts'. They're the worst thing in the world to have to clear out. Those thorns fall off all around the tree too and can go right through your boot sole, your foot, and out the top of the boot. I couldn't believe it, but we actually saw one in a park over by Green River, Utah, last summer.

Maybe your snow will stop soon, we are expecting 'cool & flurries', with everything in bloom, :icon_scratch: yeah these thorns are nasty.

Fossis................

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

scotto said:
Nice pics bud! Man you always find the neatest stuff.

Love the hog skull, and the thorns too, those are cool. Huge ones, biggest I've seen.

Be careful with those snakes! Yikes.

Hey Scotto, these are just behind the 'old house place' where the 16 room house stood, next time we'll drive down there. :thumbsup:

Fossis.................

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

crazyjarhead said:
That's an awesome tree............ one that could kill ya ::) Nice story and pics Fossis :thumbsup:

Yep, wouldn't want to fall off your horse into one of those, or have your flashlight quit while on a 'coon hunt'. :-\

Fossis..............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mental Granny said:
fossis they just said up to 6 inchs here for Friday! :icon_sunny:

Oh well, Mother Nature is 'still in charge'.

Fossis...............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting